Prologue

"Ash?"

He rolled over in his sleep, ignoring the voice. Go away, he thought. Right now, all he wanted was to feel the soft grass against his fur and let the drone-like buzz of insects wash over him like the waves in the distance. But the voice was insistent, and tremoring with anxiety. He carefully picked himself up, stretching head to tail. "What's going on Selena?"

The white wolf paced to and fro in the crisp night air. "You can't stay here anymore." Her yellow eyes darted from his gaze. "Luna has been convinced that Shadow's death is your fault." He turned his back to her for a moment. She was right. Last week, humans had been spotted by lookouts on the island. It wasn't until they had found the den that Ash had been bound to protect that the circumstances had become dire. "You know it wasn't my fault," he protested to Selena. "Shadow risked his life to save me, and he got himself killed in the process."

"Tell that to the others. But I would get away while you can. Escape to the mainland maybe. You'd be safe there."

"One wolf, by myself?" He was in awe that she had suggested that. "No wolf lasts long away from his pack."

Selena was about to reply, when a chorus of howls broke the night silence. "You won't be alone," she continued, her voice trembling. "I voted against them killing you. They sent me away from the Gathering. If you decide to go, I'll be with you."

He turned to the north. Over the last year, he had gotten to know the island well. Much of it was mountainous, and snow would be falling soon. A trip to the mainland might take three days at least.

But what other option do I have? He turned to face Selena, and she seemed to read his thought quite clearly.

"Very well. Let's run."