Chapter 1 - Mandy Lewis

My name is Mandy Lewis, of course that's not my real name, its just some name this dreaded Foundling Hospital has inflicted on me, Im sure my mother would've named me something different to match my eyes or hair... I have deep green eyes so maybe I could've been named Emerald or since my hair is brown, maybe she chose something like Masie or Carmen, I'd never know. I was seperated from my mother at birth when she could not care for me and sent to live with my foster family until I was five and sent to the hospital to be trained for when I become a servant. I don't really want to be a servant and having to serve some rich person for most of my life. 

The hospital was bleak and scary at first and I had to deal with Eloise Lynch's teasings but soon I found my first real friend, Lydia Wright, and we've been thick as theives, much to the annoyance of the matrons.

 But even though life here has gotten slightly better its still been hard, since the boys and girls are seperated I can't see my foster brother, Malcolm Brown, we were so close throughout our short childhood in the countryside that I believed we'd be together in the hospital until the matrons seperated us and I came to the realisation I'd barely be able to see Malcolm unless I decided to sneak into the boy's wing which I did sometimes, I'm light on my feet anId very quiet when it came to sneaking out. I haven't been caught yet but i new what would happen if I did. I'd be shut in the dreaded punishment attic. I've only been shut in it once when I first came here, i was reading in bed when Matron Hawking came sticking her hawk-nose in the dormitory.

I hear the matron's footsteps now, I should go to bed.