Chapter One

It seems as if the world I have faith in is slowly falling away. It seems as if the nation that I heard of in the past is no longer. But why is that? Society has put me here in a place that I do not belong, in a place where none of us belong. But why did it? It seems that America has fallen and everything that it once stood for has fallen with it...

A cool breeze blew through the window as Nala continued to write in her journal and as the sunrise peeked over the horizon and gleamed through her papers and drawings that filled the entirety of her room. Inspiring quotes were written all around from Maya Angelou, Gandhi, and even lines from her favorite books, which by law were all forbidden. Breath-taking drawings that were inspired by Da Vinci, van Gogh, and Picasso were posted all throughout her walls. Nala dreams that one day she can show people what she has made and hopes that someone can unmask the hidden beauty that is its true meaning of creation.

At just fifteen years old, Nala has much wisdom of numerous drawings and stories that not many people know about. She stands at a height of 5'3 with brown skin, black silky hair, and dark brown eyes. Dressed in ripped up jeans, a faded animation sweater and boots, Nala finishes up her entry just as the clock struck 7:20 where she starts to head out her room to meet her friends for school. Just before she leaves, she gives herself one last look in the mirror and slides her sleeve down on her right arm to cover up her scar that brings back a memory she always tries to forget. Nala heads to the kitchen where she grabs something quick to eat to make the bus. "Good morning Nala," her mom greeted when both her parents came strolling into the room.

"Morning mom, morning dad," Nala replied. Nala's parents are one of the nicest people anyone will ever encounter in their life. Nala's mom is brown-skinned with short black hair and dark brown eyes. Her dad towers over her like a giant who has a big physique and stands at a height of 6'2. Both her parents are extremely intelligent and they care for everyone. Everyone admires them because they always welcome people with open arms, but sometimes Nala gets this chill down her spine that her parents are hiding something and she fears that if that something got out it would mean terrible things." Well, I have to go before I miss the bus. See you later." Nala stated. Nala went over to give her parents a hug and hurriedly left for the door.

"Make sure you wait on your brothers Nala!" her dad yelled in his deep voice before she left out the house.

"Okay!" Nala yelled back. And as soon as she replied back her brothers came running as fast as the speed of sound through the other room meeting her at the door.

"Bye mom, bye dad." Her brothers said in sync and they all left walking out the door to their bus stop.

"Why are you guys always late?" Nala asked.

"We aren't always," her little brother Nathan answered, "time just speeds up on us here and there."

"Right," Nala said with a little sarcasm in her voice, "that's what happens."

"Calm down Nala, we're here now and we're still on time to get on the bus," Nick, her older brother stated. Nick is the over-protective sibling that you didn't want, but you couldn't live without. Nick has a height of 5'10 and he has intense dark brown eyes and black hair. Nick is smart but he is also a risk taker. Even with being protective, he is also impulsive which sometimes gets him into a situation he can't get himself out of. Nathan on the other hand, gets himself into trouble because he's very energetic. Nathan is 5'0 with black hair and dark brown eyes and a smile that could light up a room. Both he and Nala have creativity, but he uses his skills to make people laugh since there isn't much to laugh about with the situation everyone lives in.

Nala and her brothers continue to walk to their stop until they see her two friends waiting on the corner. "Hey Alex," Nala said as she approached her friends.

"Hey you guys," Alex replied.

"Hey Terrence," Nala added afterwards.

"What's up," Terrence responded back. Alex and Terrence both wore some faded jeans with Alex wearing a purple shirt and worn out flats, and Terrence wearing a torn white shirt with some discolored black shoes. Alexandria, who went by Alex, is fifteen and is one of Nala's best friends. They knew each other since they were toddlers and they went through a lot together. She was light-skinned who stood at 5'4 with light brown eyes and had curly brown hair. One thing that has kept them together is their love for wanting what's best for the people, and the outcome that could change peoples' lives. And Terrence is Nala's other best friend. He's sixteen and he knew Nala and Alex since they were both nine and has been friends with them ever since. Terrence was 5'8 with dark brown skin, black hair, and dark brown eyes. One thing that both he and Nala have in common is that they both like to take risks, and go on exhilarating new adventures.

A couple of minutes passed and the bus came. As they stepped onboard, this pungent odor hit them that made them all gag. While everyone got to a seat Nala sat by the window to get some air. Looking out into the scene she saw the usual routines that people endure daily: neighbors dressed in clothes that barely fit while digging through other peoples' trash cans, people breaking and entering stealing other's properties and others begging on the streets for a place to stay.

It was like this throughout the entire state of New York. Almost half of America's population was living in poverty and unfortunately there was nothing they could do about it. Back in 2040, the economy was already suffering from the last President, and when it was time for an election a Congressman by the name of Oliver Crown comes along. Oliver Crown then makes promises to the people that he will make the economy right again and he soon gets elected to be President. Once in office there was a dramatic change, and the optimistic Congressman we once knew became the living nightmare of our dreams. Time passed by and he then became a tyrant where he created a system for the economy called "The Balance Beam": people who are suffering economically will stay that way, and people who have money will stay the way they are. It is forbidden to help either side for it was to create and maintain balance in the economy. Five years later, everyone who suffers financially lives isolated in the state of New York with no contact from anywhere else unless it is important, and no opportunity to prosper throughout life because there is nowhere to go.

After everyone gets off the bus, they head into the school to their first period. Nathan and Nick part ways from the rest and head to their classes. Nala, Alex, and Terrence walk into their class and take their seats. "So I heard that some people are going to start protesting against 'The Balance Beam' so we can get the same opportunities like the rest of America." Terrence said as soon as they sat down.

"Where did you hear this?" Nala asked.

"Around." Terrence replied.

"Around. Yep, we can always trust what we hear when it comes around." Alex said.

"I'm serious Alex," Terrence snarled back, "people aren't going to continue to sit back and let this happen to us." While Alex and Terrence continued to talk, Nala began to get lost in the thought of people protesting.

"They know the consequences for doing that," Nala overhead Alex say softly.

"I know," Terrence reasoned, "but people want change."

"Please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance," a low booming voice over the intercom ordered. Everyone stood and held their right hands to their heart while saying the pledge. "Now for our moment of....."

Interrupting the deep voice was a siren that screamed, "Breaking News, Breaking News, Live from the Oval Office..."

"What does this mean?!?" Nala asked out loud.

"I guess President Crown has an announcement to make." Terrence replied.