Chapter 1: Prom

Caroline's POV

Finally, Prom day is here.  I run my hands along my pearl necklace that my mother gave me and the front my my dress. It goes just above the knees because I knew that every other girl would be wearing a floor length gown and I wanted to be different. 

Stand out for once in my life. Even if it's just for a second. 

I bought my dress at a thrift shop for only thirty dollars. Not that we have an issue with money, I just don't see the point in going all out. 

I mean, it's only prom; not my damn wedding. 

A horn honks and I look at the window. 

The limousine is here to pick me up. In it is just my best friend, Lilly. The two of us rented a limo and decided to go to prom together because neither of us cared enough to get dates.

 "Caroline, get down here!", my mother's voice echoes up to my room. 

"Coming, Mom!", I quickly grab my purse in one hand and my heels in the other and practically fly down the stairs. 

At the bottom, I stop...

I... I

"Caroline?", suddenly my mother's face appears in front of mine, "Sweetheart, are you alright? Lilly's been waiting for-"

"What?", I find myself saying as I'm pulled out of my trance, "I'm fine, just.... felt a bit dizzy, that's all."

Mom gives me a small smile, "Try not to run so fast then... You know you have fainting spells. And I won't be with you tonight to take care of you."

"Lilly will." I give a small laugh,"But don't worry. I'll text you every hour."

"Good.", she tucks my hair behind my ear,"You really do look beautiful."

"Thank you.", I embrace her and head for the door,"High school's finally over."

I purse my lips. High school was never a fun time for me. I wasn't bullied or anything, but I always have issues with being social. I'm still shocked that Lilly wanted to be my friend, but I just was always afraid to talk to people ever since I was 4.

I just- I just don't trust them. 

People are always up to something. And oddly enough, although it's been almost ten years since I've known her, I still have my doubts about Lilly.

But...

Just sometimes.

"Never sometimes.", I find myself whispering.

"What was that?", my mother comes up to me with a concerned look on her face,"Caroline?"

"What?", I'm a bit confused. Why is my mother asking me so many questions,"I gotta get going. Love you, Ma."

"Oh.. love you too, sweetie.", she gives me an unsure smile, although I don't really know why. 

I put on my heels and head out. 

Lilly is on her phone wearing a beautiful, Cinderella like gown.

"Jesus.", she says when I open the door,"It about took you long enough."

"What do you mean?", I laugh,"I was only there for five minutes."

Lilly narrows her eyes,"Caroline. I've been waiting for twenty minutes."

Now it's my turn to get angry,"The hell are you talking about. I remember seeing your limo and quickly going downstairs. I was only in there for 5 minutes."