Settling In

Quick Explanation: This story is an AU! although I do ship Olivia and Josh, I hope everyone respects their privacy. If they say they aren't in a relationship with each other, then they aren't. End of story. I don't want anyone making them feel uncomfortable or pressured by asking if they are irl or saying that they should date. But I just wanted to get that out of the way. Also! I have something that has to be explained, cause like yeah

*This is a university AU with the hsmtmts cast, but the relationships that the cast's characters have apply in this fic, so an example would be that Matt and Ashlyn are cousins, and Dara and Olivia are best friends, and so are larry and josh, so stuff like that* Oh, and also- josh, matt and larry are sophomores, so in their second year of uni.

- Votes and comments very highly appreciated! Hope y'all enjoy.

"Here we are."

Olivia Rodrigo, known as the 'smart girl' and her best friend, Dara Renee, the fashionable friend, had got accepted to their dream school; New York University. When they were kids they dreamed about going together, studying in their preferred programs and staying in dorms; the full uni experience. And after 4 years of part-time jobs and hard work, the two girls had finally saved up enough with the help of their parents. Was it expensive? Definitely. Would they have to work their asses off at part-time jobs throughout school? Of course. But that didn't stop them from pursuing what they wanted. Olivia was going into humanities and Dara was going into fashion.

"This is it," Olivia breathed. It was a sunny, warm morning in New York City on Wednesday, August 28th. It was 9:30 am and there they were, standing on campus while Olivia's mom's waited in the car for them. They decided that they would go and see NYU before going to their dorm that they would be staying in. Their many boxes (a lot of clothes on Dara's part) were squashed into the back of Olivia's mom's minivan. Dara's parents were out of town on a business trip, so they weren't able to see her off.

"Liv! Dara! Get your asses in the car! Don't you want to see your dorm?" Carol yelled from the car behind them. The two girls both smiled at each other, both knowing that Olivia's moms were possibly even more excited than them. Of course, they were sad that Liv would be moving out, but that didn't stop them from supporting their daughter.

"Coming Mom!" The girls jogged back to the car and climbed in the back seat. Dana and Carol turned around to look at them, a big smile spread across both of their faces.

"Are you excited?" Dana asked.

"Of course we're excited."

"How excited?" Carol continued to prod.

"Mom!" Liv sighed exasperatedly.

"Alright, alright, I'm going." Carol turned around grinning and started the car, navigating her way to their dorms in the city.

xXx

When they pulled into the parking lot, there were university students and parents everywhere; some saying goodbye, others helping them move into their dorms. It was chaos, but when Olivia got out of the car, she couldn't help but smile. Liv liked her boring life at home, but she was ready to take on something new, even if it was outside of her comfort zone.

"You may be smiling at the busyness now, but wait until exam season rolls around. You'll be pulling your hair out," Dara quipped, noticing her friends smile.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," she said waving her off. "Mom, what floor and what room number?"

Dana pulled out a piece of paper from her pant pocket and looked at it. "6th floor, room number 42."