Mistimed

"Pupunta ka ba mamaya?"

Jhoana stopped sketching and looked up to Rex. "Hindi pa ako sure eh." 

Rex's face fell. He has been persuading Jho for the past two weeks to go to that exclusive party that some Ateneans organize every once in awhile. 

Rex clasp his hands and pull a very paawa face. "Sige na, Jho. Ilang beses mo na akong inindian eh." 

"I'm busy, Rex."

"Hep! Hindi na bebenta sakin yang excuse na yan. At kakatapos lang ng exams, we're not yet loaded with school works." Rex animatedly stated. Jhoana just stared at Rex with her emotionless face.

"Hindi ko gets 'yung persistence mo na papuntahin ako sa mga party." Jhoana does not know what Rex would get if she goes to that party or not. It's not like she's the DJ or the bartender. The party would still go on even without her.

"We just want you to have some fun. Masyado ka kasing seryoso. Cut yourself some slack, Jho." In his answer, she realized that her teammates might have got something to do with this. Rex might have been chosen to be the sacrificial lamb to do the convincing as she shares most of her classes with him, it's definitely convenient to badger her with the thought of going.

"Please? Just this once tapos hindi na kita kukulitin." He pleaded. 

Some of their classmates in that subject were rushing to go inside the classroom, indicating that the instructor might already be outside the room.

"Pag-iisipan ko." Jho thought Rex would go away after she said that. But boy, was she wrong. Rex remained standing in front of her with his sullen look.

"Take your seat everyone." A loud booming voice echoed in the room and a man in his late 40's walk towards the teacher's table. 

"Mr. Intal, you can court Ms. Maraguinot all you want after my class. For now, please take your seat."

But Rex didn't even move an inch. 

"Hoy umupo ka na!"

"Mr. Intal!"

"Jho?" Rex whispered pleadingly.

"Oo na, pupunta na! Umupo ka na!" Jho muttered under her breath. 

Rex walks to his seat with a sly grin on his face. Jho sat on her chair looking defeated. She couldn't believe Rex cornered her like that just to go to a party!

--

The bar was pretty crowded when she arrived. Although she spotted some familiar faces, Jhoana still felt lost in the throng of people. She never had the taste for this kind of places. If she would have her way, she'd just be in her room tonight — reading a book or working on her painting that she's having a hard time finishing due to lack of motivation. 

Yet, here she is, trapped in a rowdy place full of drunk people.

"Jho, tara. Nandun sila Jia." Marge pulled Jhoana's arm to where their friends are. Rex made sure that Jho will not ditch him again so he had Jho come with Marge and Gizelle. 

"Jho!" Rex suddenly appeared in front of them before they can come close to their teammates' table. "As pambawi for all the time you said yes but didn't show up, here." He handed Jho a shot glass reeking of alcohol.

"Hoy, Intal alam mo namang low tol si Jho." 

"It's just a mix drink, Margarita. Promise, hindi tatamaan si Jho dyan."