The Beginning

I would walk to school every day, not because I had no car, but because I probably needed the exercise. Though many doctors have tried to get me to eat more, it has been to no avail. I felt fat, and no one saying I was (slightly) underweight could really change that. 

I had to trudge on faster if I was to make it to hell (also known as school) today anyway.

Now, I know what you're saying. 

"America, you're so well known, and going to school can't possibly be that bad for you! You have tons of friends, how could any of this possibly be bad?" Well, hon. Wake up call. 

School is where you have to meet up with people and keep on a facade that you're "totally cool man" when really your father's beating you after school, and you wish your girlfriend wasn't so obsessed with you so that you could tell her you're gay. 

I have to wear stupid plastic sunglasses that cost me five-hundred dollars, just to conceal the tears that come up at random times. I even have to pretend to hate certain students, just so that I can keep being in my social circle.

I bully people so they'll fear me, and never try and come after my many weaknesses.

Russia, for example, I've been messing with him my whole life, though I pretend it's because he's, "A dick, and really shouldn't even be able to go to this school," (yes, I said that to him, he pretended he didn't care, but I know he did). 

He and I were best friends back in grade school. But then, I became a superpower, started talking to my father's friends' children, and had to ditch him. Definitely not my best moment, especially since I have come to like him- more than a friend, really. Though that would never happen, I know. He hates me now, and even if he didn't, I've still caused him so much pain, he wouldn't want anything to do with me.

He doesn't talk much, he only ever talks to me and his siblings, and even I only get a few insults, every day.

I realized I was now nearing the school, and stood tall, with a fake grin on my face, before walking over to my friends.

"Wassup?" I asked, and they turned around with smiles.

"Hey, Mari!" Canada exclaimed, giving me a hug, "Oh, fuck man, you're sweaty!"

We laughed, though mine was slightly strained, and I realized that Japan was now walking towards me.

She smiled, and as soon as she was in earshot, she stated, "Hey, America-Senpai! Wouldn't it be nice to hang out after school? Just the two of us?"

Inwardly I groaned at the thought of having to pretend to date her for another year, but outwardly, I smiled and replied, "Totally!"

We walked toward the school, and as we entered, a passing thought had me wondering, Would this year be different?

I bid my friends goodbye and walked to my locker. Apparently Japan and I had the same homeroom, and she and I walked to lockers close to one another, though there were three gaps between them. I sighed, I hated this, hated being like this.

I felt my breath escalate, but I told myself I wouldn't have a panic attack until I got home, so I slowed down my breathing.

I grabbed my shit out of my backpack, and entered the code for the locker, before quickly shoving them inside, save for a three-class notebook, and two books (one for science and one for Maths).

Japan walked towards me and asked, "America-Senpai, can we walked to Homeroom together?"

I nodded, though the class was close, she liked to be around me.