in which a problem found our characters

Hawthorn opened her mouth as soon as the door closed.

"I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so," she said, addressing Laurel.

"I don't need to hear it," he grimaced.

"What are we going to do now?," Rowan asked, toying with a box cutter, he doesn't even try to hide his excitement.

"Find the guns, find the goons," Hawthorn suggested.

"Once we found the goons?," Iris prodded.

"We kill the goons," Rowan grinned.

"No," Laurel protested. "There will be no killing in this museum," he said indignantly.

"Gotta protect the eyes of innocent 18th century portraits eh?," Rowan teased.

"Let Laurel give the goons a tour of the exhibit too," Hawthorn added as she walked towards the table and tried its drawers.

Laurel rolled his eyes, "There are visitors on tour here," he said and started to work on removing cameras in the room.

"Civilians. Students. Let's not get them involved," Iris said firmly.

"Says the one who threatens to kill everyone who looked at her the wrong way." Rowan announced, which made Iris turn her head sharply towards him.

"If I had to kill someone, I'd kill you first," she hissed.

And so a staring contest commenced. Iris and Rowan used to get along well, as in really well, but something happened between the last mission and today that drove a wedge between them. The elephant is so huge, it made the air in the room quiver in its weight.

Hawthorn and Laurel shot each other a knowing  look. 

Laurel cleared his throat and said, "So, I suppose, you have a plan, Haw," 

"I eat plans for breakfast, Laurel," she replied, finally finding what she was looking for in those drawers. "I guess it's time to shit them out."