Chapter 1 - Let's Just Say My Life is a Mess

Let's just get straight to the point: I'm a half-blood. What this means is that I'm half god, half mortal. I know what you're thinking. Half god? What god? Well, you know the ancient greek ones? Like, the ones you learned about in school? They're real. I know that you probably don't believe me. I guess that's better for you anyways. Because, if you really are a half blood, the more you know, the greater your scent. The greater your scent, the easier they will find you. And, if they find you . . . let's just say that's not so good. But, if you are reading this thinking that it's fiction, and that it would make a good read, go on right ahead.

Just promise me you'll be careful. Wisdom can be powerful, but it can also be dangerous.

My name is Annabeth Chase, and this is my recount on the events of the Titan War and the years leading up to it. Starting from the time my life changed forever. When I met Perseus Jackson.

𝚫 𝚫 𝚫

My father's name is Frederick Chase. He loves history, and all things military. From planes and ships, to strategies and formations, my father could probably tell you everything there is to know about past wars all over the world. Maybe that's why he appealed to my mother so much.

My mother is Athena. The greek goddess of wisdom and battle strategy. I know right, seems impossible. But, I'm not the only one like this. There are hundreds of demigods around that world, and most of them aren't nearly as lucky as I am. Yet, I still wouldn't even consider myself very lucky.

On July 12, 1993, I was born. Though, it wasn't really a normal birth. My mother, since she is a goddess, created me out of her thoughts. This means I'm literally a brainchild. I was carried from Olympus to my father by Zehryos, the West Wind. My father wasn't expecting me, and wasn't convinced he was ready to take care of me when I arrived. But, my mother explained to him that heroes must be raised by their mortal parent, not their godly one. So, I grew up with my father. Well, at least for a little while . . .

Being a demigod, I attract monsters. I have no control over it, they just kind of come. This is because demigods have a distinct smell to beings like monsters or certain nature spirits. And, let's just say, when monsters smell a demigod, they don't have very good intentions. When I was five years old, my father got married. Whenever I would attract monsters, it would normally trigger a fight between my father and my stepmom. She never liked me. I think it was partially because I had another mother, but I can't help but feel like that wasn't the only reason.

When I was around seven years old, spiders started to attack me at night. I know what you're thinking, Spiders? What's the big deal? I mean, you fight monsters nearly every day, what's so bad about spiders? Well, the story goes all the way back to an old rivalry between my mother and the immortal weaver-turned-spider, Arachne. Long story short, most Athena kids are terrified of spiders. And I was seven. I screamed to my father to help me as I was swarmed and bitten by spiders all over, but my father wasn't home. Just my stepmother. Every time she would come into my room, they would hide. She didn't believe me. This happened night after night. Every single day my evenings were filled with pain and terror, and it wasn't my fault. My parents wouldn't help because they never thought any of it was true. I needed someone to help me. Someone who understood me. Someone like me.

On the third night,I decided to run away. I didn't pack anything because I thought it would be wiser to travel light. But, I eventually decided to bring a hammer with me, for self protection. I was seven years old. I was scared. And I didn't know where I was going.

"Somewhere safe," I told myself. Even back then, I wasn't sure if there even was such a place. I didn't know what it was, or even that I was different than anyone else. I felt that I was alone. Until I met Luke.