ONE

Boston, Massachusetts.

".......That tonight's gonna be a good good night

Tonight's the night

Let's live it up

I got my money

Let's spend it up

Go out and smash it

Like Oh My God

Jump off that sofa

Let's get get OFF ......"

Songs were blasting from Jane's  radio. She reached the BPD office building and parked her old Ford Figo.

"Ummm" she took in a deep breath. 

"October!"  She tossed her empty coffee can in the bin and walked into the office.

"Morning Jane" Ashley greeted her.

"Yep Morning Ash. What's up?"

"Here take a look  " Ash handed her the newspaper.

'So far twenty one students from the Lincoln Memorial Public High School have been admitted to the hospital, they showed symptoms such as vomiting, hives like rashes and fever. Parents are concerned for the safety of their children. So far no action has been taken by the authorities and .....'

She threw the paper on her desk and looked at Ash.

"Jane , Captain Marsh ,3 o'clock "

Jane looked at the direction. Captain Andrew Marsh stood in his office talking on the phone. He looked rather under pressure and a bit worried. He put down the phone and walked out of his office.

"Jason ,in my office " Marsh called out to Jason Holder.

Jason was the newly appointed detective.  About four months ago he was promoted to the designation of Detective from uniformed officer. He was young and had boyish looks.  Jane despised the likes of him.

She smiled to herself thinking he might be getting his ass wipped in there. She started with her pending documentation since she had received no new case. After about fifteen minutes she stretched her legs .

"Lopez" she heard the Captain call out to her.

"Yes Captain "

"In my office ,now "

Jane gave Ashley a questionable look. Everyone was staring at her. They all were aware of her dislike towards Jason.

Now is he gonna lecture me about treating that milky bar nicely? Nonsense.

She strode into Marsh's office and closed the door behind her. She narrowed her eyes at Jason who was standing behind the chair. He quickly scooted to the far end of the office in fright.

"Now there Lopez, have a seat. I hope you're aware of the recent events in our precinct"

"As a matter of fact ,I am." She said proudly.

"Good. Then I guess you're no stranger to the news of students falling ill at the Lincoln memorial public high school"

She nodded and he began speaking.

"Jason, please sit. Jane is not going to eat you" Marsh called out to Jason. He nodded and sat besides her. Jane just looked ahead of her.

"I spoke to principle Rothman of Lincoln memorial high school and it turns out ,students falling ill under mysterious circumstances is not the only thing that happening at that school. Rumors are circulating about  supernatural happenings, they have reported stealing of money ,laboratory equipments and chemicals, books from the library, students are receiving threatening notes from unknown sources. All in all things are getting out of hand for the management. Things seemed under control until the stealing and rumors but students falling ill has put them under pressure."

He downed a glass of water and started again. Jane and jason just stared at him .

"The school is in our precinct and it is our job to find out what is happening there. We have devised a plan to get two cops undercover and plant them in the school"

"As students or teachers?" Jane asked leaning back in the chair.

"As students" he said .

"And who are you planning to send?" Jane eyed him suspiciously.

"Why you ofcourse, Jane" Captain Marsh gave her a small smile

"Me ? I'm 26 years old . They'll easily notice I'm not one of them."

"Come on Jane ,you know that you don't look 26 at all. And trust me you'll be in awe when you see some of their students ,some do look like they might be married with kids. Trust me " he chuckled.

Jane just narrowed her eyes at him. Marsh cleared his throat.

"Sorry. Anyway ,Jane you are going there and you're taking Jason with you "

"WHAT!" she stood up from her chair.

"Him ? You want me to take him ? No . That's not happening " she crossed her hands and stood staring outside the window not meeting the Captain's eye.

"Lopez ,this isn't a request, this is  an order" Marsh sounded serious.

"But why him? He has no experience in such things. Why can't you send anyone else with me ? What about Ashley?"

"Ashley is 40 years old!" he said raising his brows.

"Argh" she sat down in her chair defeated .

"The decision is made ,Lopez.  It's you and Jason who's going undercover" Marsh stood from seat. He looked over at the scared form of Jason.

"Jason, are you clear on the plan ?"

"Yes captain." Jason stood from his chair.

"Good. Get back to work then" Jason meekly looked at jane and left the captains office.

After the door closed, she turned towards Marsh.

"Why are you doing this ? Haven't I suffered enough?"

"Jane please ,calm down. I know you have reasons to dislike Jason but trust me he's not like Kevin."

"Oh yea ,how can you be so sure?"

"Jane. Please just give him a chance. I have nothing more to say and I honestly don't know what to say to make you like him."

Jane paced the office floor and then looked at Marsh.

"Fine" she placed her hands on the table.

"That's good. Off you go " Marsh escorted her to the door and closed it behind her.

She angrily walked towards her desk and slumped in her chair.

"Hey . What's wrong " Ashley walked besides her.

"Jason looks happy there and you're fuming so the only explanation is that the Captain scolded you for mistreating him "

"Oh Shut up " Jane walked towards the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.

"Oh come on tell me now ,quick " ash tugged by her side.

"Okay " Jane slumped back into the chair and told Ashley about the whole undercover thing with Jason.

"Oh poor Jason" Ashley mumbled under her breath.

"What ?" Jane gave her a side eye.

"No I mean ,poor you. You have to bear that handsome, young chocolate boy..." Ashley said getting lost in her dreams .

"Oh God" Jane rolled her eyes and  left Ashley to day dream and walked towards Walter ,the techno guy.

♡◇♡◇