Bon Anniversaire'

"Happy birthday!", shouted Nathan's parents in joy as they ran into his room, "You're now officially 15 and one step closer to becoming an adult." “Uhh Mom it's too early for all this", replied Nathan in a fatigued voice. “No it’s not Dear. This is a special day. It’s the day I gave birth to you. I can still remember that day like it was yesterday,” his mom replied. “Oh yeah boy, I do remember that day too. Your mom almost gave birth to you at McDonald’s. Good thing that I showed up in time,” added his dad. “Oh yeah,” chuckled his mom. “But anyways come down stairs, I fixed you up a nice breakfast and you got to see what me and your dad got you for your birthday!” “Alright mom I’ll be there in a minute let me just get dressed,” said Nathan.

As Nathan’s parents left his room he stayed in bed a little longer and started to think about how he’s growing up so fast. It was like he just learned how to tie his shoes yesterday. He wish that he could slow down time so he could cherish the special moments he has had or even just go back in time to live them again but he knows that’s not possible.

After much memories he decides to get up and get ready. He walks his way over to the bathroom and does his daily hygiene needs. He goes to his closet and puts on some clothes. One last check in the mirror and he walks downstairs to the kitchen. As he enters the kitchen he sees a big platter all for him. On it theres six vanilla cream-filled doughnuts, a huge plate of  shrimp and cheese grits, and a crispy bacon egg cheese sandwich. His mouth is watering with this delicious food. He quickly rushes over to the table and starts devouring the food almost choking in the process.

“Now slow down Nathan. You don’t want your birthday to be celebrated at the ER,” his mom as she gives him some orange juice. “ Okay mom, but thanks for this wonderful meal. I am really thankful for having you guys as parents.” “Aww thanks Nathan”, his mom responds.

Nathan takes his last bite of his delectable sandwich. He’s so full he can’t even get up to see his gifts but somehow with his strength he gets up and strolls over to the living room. He sits down on his couch and sees two boxes and an envelope.

“Here you go Nate this is from Grandma”, says his mom to him.

“It’s probably money. What else could you put in an envelope?”

“You never know there could be a gift card or some tickets”

“I doubt that.”

Nathan opens the white envelope from his grandma and to his surprise its a happy birthday card. No money. He’s surprised that there's no money in it. “Hmmm there’s no money in here” Nathan tells his mom. “ She probably forgot to put some money in there. She is getting pretty old you know.” replies Mom. “Yeah I guess”

Nathan reaches over and grabs the two boxes he doesn’t know if he should open the red one with the blue bow or the green polka dot one. He goes for the red one and opens it. Inside theres some clothes. He expected something more dazzling than that. He looks up to his mom and says, “Thanks mom……” Putting aside his clothes and reaches over to the green polka dotted one and opens that one only to find that it’s a helmet. Confused he tells his parents, “A helmet? Why do I need a helmet? I don’t have no motor vehicle? Is this a joke?”  “No Nate. It’s actually for the other gift we got you”, answers his father.

“Another gift? Where”

“Go look it the driveway.”

“You’re joking right?”

“Go see for yourself.”

Nathan gets up and hops over the couch quickly putting on his shoes. He sprints out into the chilly outdoors but he’s too excited to feel the cool air. He sees next to his mom’s Audi that there's a something being covered by a tarp. He gets there and pulls off the tarp and sees that there’s a new Kawasaki ATV. He turns around and hugs his parents and thanks them. He really wasn’t expecting a big gift like this.

“Mom can I get the keys? I want to go for a ride!” Nathan asks his mom.

“Ask your father he’s the one that has them,” his mom tells him as she looks at the father.

Nathan’s dad hands him the keys and says ,“Here you go but just remember to drive safely and wear your helmet.” “Sure will dad”

Nathan starts the four wheeler and puts it into drive. He goes onto the lawn to make a turn and go onto the road. He gets to the end of the driveway when his mom yells out to him, “Nathan here’s your grandmothers money! I just took it out the envelope to mess around with you.” Nathan turns around once more so he could go get the money. He grabs it and begins to the count it. It’s one thousand dollars. So much money, he gets ideas on what to spend it on but his mom snatches it away from him. “I’ll hold on to it. It’s too much to be carrying around” his mom tells him.

Nathan looks at her and is about to say something but he just turns on the ATV. He heads off to the end of the driveway then makes a left onto the road. He’s thinking of where to go but remembers his friend Victor wanted him to go over and had a surprise for him.

As he makes it into his friends driveway he notices him already coming down. He has a shocked look to him and says to Nathan, “ Where’d you get this! This is awesome!”

“I just got it today. It was one of my birthday gifts”

“You gotta let me ride it!”

“Haha maybe later”

“Why not now.”

“Because I haven’t even rode it enough”

“Oh alright it’s cool”

As they’re talking a girl that Nathan finds attractive walks by with her dog he looks at her and checks her out. Victor then whispers to Nathan, “That’s that new girl. She’s from Wyoming. Wyoming's are so lame no one wants to hangout with them.”

“Huh? What why?” Nathan responds.

“I don’t know, people from here just don’t like them.”

“But look at her. She got the looks”

“Yeah but she’s from wyoming”

“Nevermind,” Nathan’s done with that subject.

“I gotta show you something,” Victors says as he reaches into his pocket grabbing a bag with something that looks like a plant, “It’s called… Peyote”