prologue

Chances.

Now, that is something I am not very used to. I never risked trying to be one of the popular kids during high school, therefore I was just another random face trying not to drown in pointless gossip and homework. In fact, I never really had an interest to be in the 'in crowd', but I also didn't have a strong interest in being alone. Parties never called my name, and I never strived to be involved in them. There were too many chances of something going wrong, and I didn't particularly want to risk my entire future because I slipped up one reckless night. Sure people knew of my existence and people liked me (I guess you could say), but they didn't really know me. And I kind of regret not being someone worth remembering.

After school ended, I decided to change. I decided that I wanted to be somebody, and somebody worth remembering. Seventy years from now, I want to be able to look back and say that I did something with my life other than waste it away while surviving paycheck to paycheck and dining on Ramen every night. So that summer I took up singing and it turns out that I'm actually pretty good at it. I practiced, and practiced, and practiced, and soon enough I found myself making an audition tape. 'The Voice' has always been my favorite competition show, so, I decided to do something I had never done before and take a risk and enter as a competitor. To say that I was stressed to the max to send in my video is actually not stressed enough.

Little did I know, though, he was the one I really had to worry about. He is the reason why I took so many chances and made so many mistakes. For my tears, my sorrow, my happiness... I risked everything for him.

And I thank him every day because of it.