1. Crippling Sadness and Expensive Dresses

Everything felt too bright. Not just the fairy lights strung up on the restaurant patio, or the pretty candles set up around the dance floor, but the couples dancing, the groups of friends laughing, the families arguing loudly over something stupid.

       It was so too happy for Jade. How could anyone be happy when it felt like Jade's whole world was crashing down?

       It was only a few hours before Jade ended up at this restaurant that she caught her boyfriend of two years, cheating on her.

       His name was Asher, and when they were together he was sweet and romantic. He was the perfect boyfriend, well, up until now.

       Jade and Asher lived together in a nice apartment (paid for mostly by the former) in New York. Jade makes good money working as a lawyer, and she loves her career. Asher is studying at an academy of dance, but he works a part-time job as a barista because he doesn't want Jade to be paying for everything.

       Asher's dance career wasn't doing so well here in New York, so he decided that the best move was to move out to L.A. where all the big names are. He asked Jade about moving, but Jade couldn't, she can't, her career is here in New York and she loves her job. She can't give that up.

       But Asher didn't want to sacrifice his career either, so he and Jade were in disagreement about what should happen. They never reached a decision, Jade and Asher just kept fighting and fighting.

       During one of their fights, Jade decided she needed to take a breather and went to the park with her dog. Asher stayed at home. When Jade finished up at the park, she was walking back to their apartment complex and saw something unusual, her best friend Angelina's pink car.

       Weird, she thought. Maybe she was stopping by to see me and Asher let her in.

       Jade hadn't seen Angelina in a while, so she started getting excited. But all Jade's excitement disappeared instantly when she opened the door to her apartment. Seated on the couch were Asher and Angelina, holding hands.

       "Excuse me?" Jade said nicely. Maybe she was blowing this out of proportion. She was wrong. After she said that, Asher and Angelina noticed her and jumped apart.

       "What're you guys doing?"

       Asher nor Angelina dared say anything.

       "I asked you a question." Jade directed her gaze to Angelina. "Ang?"

       "I-I'm s-s-sorry. H-he sa-said y-you-", Angelina coughed. "He said you guys were on a break."

       Jade was mad. Like, really mad. She kicked Angelina out of her apartment and deleted her number. How could she? Asher was her boyfriend. Hers. What kind of friend would do that? (I'm kidding, Angelina is a great friend and she would never do this. This is purely for the sake of the story.)

       Lots of screaming and shouting ensued, and it ended with Jade kicking Asher out of their apartment. She said she paid for it, and if he didn't want to be with her, he could get out.

       Asher packed up his things, gave an apologetic look, and left. Jade laughed bitterly. No amount of apologizing could make her forgive him for what he had done.

       Jade couldn't stand to be in the apartment anymore, the apartment that she used to share with Asher, so she took the subway to Le Petit Poisson, her favourite restaurant in all of New York.

       And that's how Jade ended up sitting alone in a restaurant, feeling like her whole world was crashing down around her.

       Asher was everything to her. What was she to do now?