First

I can hear you in my dreams, but I don't know what you're saying

I can hear you in my dreams, but I don't know what you're saying. You're singing and your eyes are closed and there is so much passion in your face. I can almost see your spirit. I want to be so close to you. I want to feel your breath on my neck. I want to breathe in your soul. I hate what I've become. I hate ever seeing you. My body is hollow – a sky with no stars. I feel like a poem of sadness and loneliness. I take pictures and rip them apart. I break the strings on my guitar and my fingers burn. I wonder if it's possible to love someone who doesn't know you're bleeding. Who doesn't know you've lost your breath.

I'm looking at the ocean. My eyes swim beneath its blues and greens and all I want to do is drown when I see your face. The sky is hot and the stars are burning me. I see her there and she is beautiful and her ring is like a tiny star. I knew this all along, but my heart is writing poems of sorrow. I don't want to say a word and I don't want to move. I just want to stand here and feel nothing.

I go home and I listen to sad songs and I wonder why I feel the way I do. I wonder if I will always feel the way I do right now. I wonder if I will ever love the way I used to. If only, I say. I continue to dream and in my dreams I hear pianos and they are crying.