𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑢𝑒

༻¨*:·

༻¨*:·. ☽༓☾ .·:*¨༺

If you could be doing anything on a Sunday night, it would probably be something quiet and requiring little to no effort, like scrolling through your phone, watching a movie, or maybe reading a book. Possibly even doing your homework if you were desperate enough. What you would NOT be doing, is begrudgingly swiping groceries off of convenience store shelves into shopping baskets at 11pm at night. Unfortunately, due to your bad luck, and also your mother's poor organisational skills, that's exactly what you were doing.

Honestly, the only reason you agreed to go was because you were told it would be a quick task, just buying some eggs - until you were handed a grocery list on your way out, which is exactly when you realised you were tricked into going on a last-minute shopping spree.

It didn't matter though, because you were finally done, and in a matter of seconds, you'd be leaving this god forsaken liminal space. That is, until a light tapping on your shoulder stopped you from doing so.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice called out from behind you.

You turned around and found yourself face to face with a boy slightly taller than you, though he seemed to be about your age.

"Ah sorry," he smiled shyly, and you couldn't help but notice the abundance of freckles scattered across his cheeks, "I think you, uh, dropped something?"

Your eyebrows knit together in confusion at the sight of the bright pink object in his hand, only recognising it a few seconds later as the box of tampons you were intending on buying.

Almost instantly, you felt the heat rush to your cheeks as you froze at the sudden realisation. There was currently a cute boy your age standing in front of you, holding the box of tampons you just dropped; it was safe to say that you were mortified.

But before you could say anything, a voice rang out from beyond the aisles, effectively snapping you out of your trance. Noticing the way freckle boy's head seemed to perk up at this, alarm bells started ringing throughout your head.

Shit shit shit, it's probably freckle boy's friend-

In a fit of panic, you quickly snatched the box from out of his hands and shoved it down your coat and literal seconds later, a second boy emerged from behind the confectionary aisle; despite his height, he didn't look to be any older than you either.

He looked back and forth between you and the freckled boy, his gaze ultimately landing on you in the end.

Suddenly feeling very hot, you shifted around uncomfortably at the unexpected attention you were receiving, until he spoke up, the amusement clear in his tone.

"Are you shoplifting or what?" He raised an eyebrow, very clearly referring to the awkward shaped lump sticking out from inside your coat.

Your eyes widened and you tensed up, "what? No! Of course not! I'm just-"

"Alright, whatever, if you say so." He shrugged, turning to look at freckle boy, "Let's leave already,"

You squinted at him as he walked past. Was this asshole seriously gonna ignore your explanation? Even though he was the one that asked? Despite wanting to put this guy and his cocky attitude in his place, you were slightly relieved he didn't interrogate you any further.

Before he left however, he turned around to look at you again, "by the way, nice shoes,"

You quickly looked down, immediately cringing at the sight of the bright pink bunny slippers on your feet. If your face wasn't completely red already, it probably was by now. In your defence though, you couldn't find any other shoes and assumed no one would be out this late. But to be fair, it was either these, or your mom's crocs - and you weren't really sure which was worse.

Looking back up at him to explain, you scoffed once you realised he was already walking away. You didn't catch sight of his face before he left but you were almost certain the smug bastard was smirking.

You looked away from his retreating form a second later and locked eyes with freckle boy once more. He flashed you an apologetic smile and mouthed a 'sorry' before giving you a small wave goodbye and jogging after his friend.

Once you were absolutely positive they were gone, you unzipped your jacket slightly and pulled out the box of sanitary products and glared at them. The source of all your problems. So this was Satan's torture device of the day, huh?

"If I wasn't such a reasonable person, I'd set you on fire," you squinted at the hot pink box, before shoving them into the plastic bag you were carrying.

Finally stepping out of the store, you turned around and gazed wistfully at the neon sign, letting out a long sigh, exasperated.

"We've only been in this town for a week and I can already never show my face here ever again."