Man in the Mask

The lights dimmed in the ballroom as the music came to an abrupt stop.

The ballroom that was, just a few seconds ago, filled will chatter and laughter now silent.

"Now entering, the Crown Prince of Daegu." Announced the guard as he pulled open the main doors.

The crowd murmured as a dark figure stood at the door.

"I heard the Prince doesn't talk because he's a mute." Whispered one guest

"I heard he was possessed by a great evil at a young age," began another, "That's why he wears black, to signify his impurity."

The whispers of harsh comments and prejudged foolishness came to a halt as the figure took his first steps into the hall.

Choi Beomgyu, Crown Prince of Daegu. Firstborn to his father, King Choi of Daegu, and a bitter disappointment.

Everything from his appearance to his morals upset his father.

In his eyes, Beomgyu could do no right.

His platinum blonde hair which complimented his deep hazel eyes and his pearlescent, clear skin contrasted the dark midnight hair and seering black eyes that the rest of the royal cohort possessed; a genetic appearance which had been passed down for generations.

His morals to hear and think before making rash decisions opposed his fathers view to punish for self gain and his willingness to learn and persevere against his father's will, resulted in the fracturing relationship between father and son and the despicable rumors surrounding Beomgyu's whole existence being thrown around and believed by the people of Daegu without anyone to stop them.

The rumors are what caused Beomgyu to be considered an outcast in the royal family, as no one was convinced he possessed royal blood.

Fictional tales of the king's firstborn being conjured by a great evil as his wife was unable to carry a child raced through the kingdom like a wildfire, igniting every ear the tale fell upon, creating a communal hatred surrounding Beomgyu within the kingdom.

However, the greatest cause of the hatred sprouted from Beomgyu's brother, the king's second son, Choi Soobin

He was perfect in every way. The classic dark midnight hair possessed by all royals confirmed the fact that Soobin had royal blood coursing through is veins.

He always agreed with their father and possessed all the fighting and leadership skills that were important in his father's eyes, the perfect heir to the Daegu throne.

The King's admiration for his second born son created Beomgyu's isolation from the rest of his family.

He was no longer allowed to attend royal events, forbidden to become a crown knight (the highest honor a prince could possess, which was naturally handed down to his brother) and relocated to his own quarters on the opposite side of the castle, to minimise contact with Beomgyu.

Tonight, however, his father had formally invited him from his quarters in the castle to attend the royal ball, which commemorates the alliance between the 4 kingdoms.

All the neighbouring kings and their sons were in attendance as it was an event of great importance.

Beomgyu had dressed his best for the occasion;

A velvet dress shirt adorned with pearls at the collar. A jet black silk cape which brushed the back of his knees when he stood, masking his body. A pair of black trousers with the royal crest embroidered into the leg. And, finally, a lace mask which currently was held in place by two lengths of ribbon tied behind his head.