chapter one

it was the end of summer 1986, a time where everyone was enjoying their last moments with their friends before school started, when every girl was raving about the new fashion trends for the upcoming school year, and when boys tried to figure out how to impress the girls this  year. a time where the leaves would start to change to the warm, beautiful shades of yellow and orange and the temperature was just right for everyone.

you wouldn't catch anyone inside on these perfect last days. absolutely no one, except for emma. emma montrese.
you see, emma wasn't your stereotypical teenage girl. she didn't go out with friends, nor did she frantically look through catalogs to find new things to satisfy her likings. she preferred to stay inside. read a few books perhaps, or maybe even find things to prepare herself with for her new classes.

emma was the type that everyone would call a "freak" when they saw her walk down the halls of Clover High. she always wore the same sweatshirt and joggers and wasn't the type of girl that you would call perfect. and because of that, she never had many friends. but she didn't want any.
she was always scared. love made her scared. any type of love, whether that love be friendship or not. she couldn't get over the feeling that she couldn't be loved, that she would be left, forgotten. she couldn't even love herself. so she just made it easier on herself by not associating with the public.
though, she wouldn't have thought like this if it weren't for her father. emma's mother left her and her father at a very young age, which left her father heartbroken, envious of anyone who had love in their life, forbidding emma of ever having a significant other. she of course obeyed her father, not realizing how toxic her father was being. he would always tell her that love and relationships do no good to life. that love is something that only hurts, and no one wants that.
absolutely no one.