Prologue

HELP. BAKER ST. NOW. - SH

"Damn it, Sherlock!" I curse, jamming my phone back into my pocket and throwing my coat on, hand instinctively moving to the holster around my waist. Whipping my head around the office, I look for someone, anyone. No luck; no one worked late on Fridays here. Except for one person. 

"Thomas, c'mon!" Rushing to his desk, I practically grab him by the arm and hoist him up, despite yells of protest. "We have to go to Baker Street right now!" 

My nerves were on such high alert that we made it there in half the time and twice the chance of getting into an accident, with my normally fast driving even more erratic than usual. I pound on the door.

"Police, open up!"

No response.

"This is the police and we will have to force entry if we have to!" I scream.

Still no response.

"Ready, Thomas?" I look to my faithful partner, and he nods, then with a swift kick, brings the door off its hinges, both of us now with two hands on guns and surveying the flat for any signs of movement. There's nothing, and so we tiptoe up the wooden stairs, me visibly cringing as Thomas just barely misses stepping on the half-broken step. The one room upstairs has the door open and light streaming out into the hallway. Tightening my grip on my gun, I walk into the room, Thomas on my heels, bracing myself for the worst. A familiar voice of liquid mahogany recognizes me, sitting in front of his laptop and in navy silk dressing gown. 

"Hello, Reyna. I need your help; John and Mary are coming over for dinner and I don't know what to feed them. I hope you didn't take too much trouble coming here."