August 20th, 2018 - Monday

Today was going to be a fantastic day. It would mark my last year as an average high school student.

My name is Myne Stanton. A senior at Eclipse high school. I live with my parents and my younger brother, Neil, who is 14. 

I consider myself to be very average. Average in looks, academics, and sports, but I don't mind. 

If anything, being average is better than standing out, isn't it? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 6:45 AM when I reached the parking lot of the high school. I had barely parked the car before Neil bolted out the door. 

"Yo, I'm headed out to meet with some friends at the library before class starts!" He yelled while waving at me. I waved back. 

I didn't see why he felt the need to rush when classes started at 7:45, but I suppose he was nervous about starting high school. I decided to chill in the car for a little bit before getting out. 

PING. -TEXT MESSAGE FROM Scarlet Edwards- 

I smiled. Scarlet had been my best friend since I was very young. We were two peas in a pod, and she was someone I loved dearly. I opened her text message. 

-Scarlet: You at the high school yet?-

-Myne: Yup! Parked near the entrance!-

-Scarlet: I'll see you soon then. I need to show you something.- 

Hm. I wonder what Scarlet needed to show me so early in the day. Would it have killed her to wait until we saw each other after school? 

Unfortunately, Scarlet and I didn't have any classes for our final year, although we did have the same lunch period :) 

It was nearly 7 AM when she pulled up next to my car. I waved her over to my car. I grabbed my bag and locked my car as she approached. 

"Ready to start our last year?" I said, smiling at her. She nodded. 

"About the thing, the thing that I had to show you this morning.." She paused to grab her phone. 

"I got this text a week ago and thought it was spam, but I just get a weird vibe from it. I should have told you the day I got it." 

It was a simple text from UNKNOWN. 

"Did you change the contact name to UNKNOWN?" I asked, confused. She shook her head. 

"It appeared as UNKNOWN, instead of a spam number. Maybe it's a call from out of the country or something?" 

I looked at the text. 

-UNKNOWN: 08/20/18, Theo Nelson-

Odd. 

"Hey Scarlet, do you happen to know a kid named Theo Nelson?" I asked.  

She shook her head. 

"Hmm. I guess it doesn't have to be a kid; it could be an adult too. Pretty sure it's just a message to the wrong number, though." I thought to myself. 

I grabbed her hand and started pulling her towards the entrance of the school. 

"I don't think you have to worry about anything. I send texts to the wrong numbers sometimes too!" I smiled at her. 

She let out a sigh of relief and gave me a small smile. 

"I sure hope so." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------