Road Trip

"Finally, summer vacation" I said to Sofia as we exited the school. "What are your plans this summer?" Sofia asked me with a hopeful look in her eyes. "I'm not sure yet, but my mom told me that she has something to tell me when I get home today" I said suspiciously. "Hm, I wonder what that's about?" Sofia said. We parted ways as I started to walk towards my humble abode.

"Hey mom I'm home" I said skipping through the front door. " Hi honey, come to the kitchen" my mom demanded. I walked in, to find her sitting excitedly at the kitchen table.

"What's got you looking so happy" I asked. "Well, your father and I have been talking, and we're going to be spending the summer at the lake house, with the Bassett's" she says excitedly. "Oh, um okay" I said sadly.

"I was kind of thinking that I would spend my summer here, with Sofia" I said hopefully crossing my fingers. "Liv, our decision is final, we are going to the lake house" she said sternly.

"We're leaving tomorrow, so start packing." She said completely leaving the conversation. "Okay" I said with a sigh. I now have to tell Sophia that we won't be able to see each other in two whole months.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

"Hey, my mom is making me go with them to the lake house this summer" I said breaking the news to my best friend. "Awwww that's okay Liv, it's not your fault" she said understandingly.

After a while of packing I decided that I had everything that I was going to need as the lake house is far from civilization. "Mom I'm packed" I yelled as I ran down the stairs hoping that dinner would be waiting for me.

" That's great sweetheart, now sit down and let's eat" she said placing a bowl of chicken salad in front of me. As I ate I realized something crucial. I was going to be spending the entire summer with the one and only Joshua Bassett. He's so annoying and I hate spending time with them, I love his family but him, nope.

"Hey honey, we're going to be leaving super early tomorrow morning, so make sure you go to bed at a reasonable time." My mom said sweetly. I nodded as I took my last bite.

I ran upstairs to take my last shower without any interruptions. I sat quietly on my bed, admiring the last sunset that I'm going to see in my hometown for the rest of the summer. I smiled at the sight and reached for my summer reading book, assigned by my English teacher.

After reading a few chapters, I decided that I should go to bed.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

I woke up to my mom hovering over me and giving me a shake. "Good morning sweetheart, we gotta get going" she says leaving my bedroom. I slowly rolled out of the comfort of my bed and stumbled towards the bathroom.

My hair was combed, my teeth were brushed and I was ready to go. I took my bags and headed downstairs and towards the door. "Come on honey get in the car" My dad says motioning towards our family car.

I got comfortable in the back seat as I knew I was going to be there for a while. My mom gave me a subtle smile before turning towards the road.

The car ride was long in reality, but no amount of time could possibly prepare me for long hours and days spent with Joshua Bassett.

I slowly got out of the car, my eyes squinting at the brightness of the beaming sun. I quickly grabbed my bags and hurried towards the house. I walked in, my eyes directly moving to the curly headed boy sitting on the balcony.

I moved up the stairs before Josh could notice that I was there. I opened the door to my bedroom for two months, to my surprise, someone's things are already in there.

"Hey mom" I called from the upstairs. "What is it sweetheart" she replied walking towards me. "Why are Josh's things in my room" I complained. "Because you two are sharing rooms"  she said leaving me stranded.

I can't believe this. Why would they do that to me. Did they not even think to mention it. As the last thought trailed through the mind, I heard another set of footsteps walk up the stairs.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

I felt a presence behind me but I already knew who it was. What was it going to be, will he tell me that I'm a joke, or will he tell me that I should find new room?

"Hey" was all he said. With a sweet tone, one that wasn't controlling or manipulative. "If you want me to find a new room, I can" was all he said before he stood quietly in the doorway.

"Oh no, it's okay, don't worry about it" I said trying to be as nice as possible. "Ill be at the beach if you need anything" he said before walking out the door with his swim trunks.

Wow. Did he become nice? Did he seriously turn his life around? I thought that maybe I could use some sun, but I didn't want him to think that I needed him. But I needed the sun.

I took out the first bathing suit that I saw in my suitcase and promptly changed in the bathroom connected to our bedroom. I stared  at myself in the mirror, at my petit body. "Maybe I shouldn't go" I said to myself.

I had a habit of putting myself down. But what does it matter, it's only Josh. Only Josh