Off To The Floating Lake

As an energetic traveller, you'd often hear about the mountains, deserts, beaches and therefore the megacities of India. But little will you realize the hidden jewels of our country, tucked away in its north-east corner. Nestled within the arms of Manipur, is one such gem of nature- the gorgeous Loktak Lake, located near Moirang. it's the most important freshwater lake in entire North East India and stretches across 980 sq. km. of the catchment basin. Book with the best North east tour operators.

The Loktak or the 'end of stream', this lake may be a natural wonder in itself, with floating islands or locally called 'phumdis' all across its surface. These islands have their own section of vegetation, flora, fauna, and other important matter, which makes for a mini eco-system inside the lake. Wonder why it's famous? Due to the most important island of 40 sq. km. houses the Keibul Lamjao park which is that the only floating park within the world. Now, isn't that something you'd want to witness?

 Now, isn't that something you'd want to witness?

Discovering the Loktak Lake

Whether you wish to explore the wildlife or photograph the magnificence of nature, Loktak Lake has something for everybody. albeit you would like to easily row round the islands and absorb the luxurious greenery, then there's nothing more serene and peaceful than this vast expanse of water.

You cannot help but get overwhelmed by the sheer great thing about the whole scenario. The labyrinth of waterways through islands, crystal clear water, and therefore the verdant surrounding, are bound to take your breath away. And if you'll manage to look at the sunset, when the whole lake area is soaked during a crimson hue, you'd indeed feel as if you're on another planet.

Fishing around Loktak Lake

Being a freshwater patch and therefore the largest so of the region, the Loktak Lake is a livelihood for the local fishing community. The lake yields about 1500 plenty of local fishes per annum, which has led to the event of fishing wharves and villages over the islands. On any given day, join these fishermen and you'll watch them keenly laying out their nets and patiently expecting the catch. If that intrigues you, try your hands at fishing for a first-hand experience.

 If that intrigues you, try your hands at fishing for a first-hand experience

Wildlife spotting on the Lake

Parts of the Loktak lake area are under paddy cultivation, while a number of it's inhabited and therefore the rest is roofed in dense forests, marshy lands, and organic wastelands. The park including the remainder of the lake area is rich in biodiversity- with 230 species of aquatic plants, quite 100 species of exotic birds and 425 species of animals.

Get an opportunity to ascertain a number of the rare and species, living within the reserve like Indian pythons, Sambar and muntjac, the Sangai or brown-antlered deer, among others. For bird lovers, you would possibly be lucky to identify the migratory waterfowl, dabbling and diving ducks, or maybe the big variety of hornbills. Other species of untamed animals just like the rhesus monkeys, hoolock gibbons, macaques and marbled cats, even have their homes within the lake's wilderness.