Have A Little Faith In Yourself

Characters: Yamaguchi Tadashi, Kinoshita Hisashi, Himekawa Aoi

Word Count: 2, 525 words

Summary: It was during Karasuno's match against Tsubakihara. Kinoshita pointed out the resemblance between Yamaguchi and the opposing team's pinch server, Himekawa Aoi. While at that, he found a new source of inspiration.

. . . . .

Himekawa Aoi.

When Yamaguchi first laid his eyes on that pinch server from Tsubakihara, he was instantly reminded of the first time he was sent into the court during their match against Aoba Johsai. The poor boy was trembling from head to toe. Quivering lips. Wobbly knees. Very much like how Yamaguchi had been when he first stepped into the court back in Miyagi Prefecture Stadium.

His heart pounded like drums against his chest as he anticipated his first move. He watched intently as the boy curled his hand into a tight fist before tossing the ball lightly into the air.

The next few sequences happened ever so slowly:

The ball dropped back down. The pinch server swung his arm. His fist made contact with the ball. The ball flew halfway across the court.

There was a loud scrunching noise.

The ball bounced off from the back of his teammate's head.

It didn't make it pass the net.

There was a pause.

A moment of silence.

And then the shrill sound of the whistle.

The referee raised his hand. The set was given to Karasuno. And just like that, the pinch server was out of the court for good.

He hadn't even stood in the court for a minute.

It had been the same for the freckled teen back then. Even though he's gotten over it, he could still remember every second of it like it was just yesterday.

Oh, the terror he felt as soon as he crossed the line and stepped into the court. The atmosphere changed completely. He could feel eyes on him from every corner. Everyone was looking at him.

He felt nauseous.

He wanted to run away.

His stomach did a flip when his teammates started offering words of encouragement.

"Stay calm, Yamaguchi."

"Yamaguchi, nice serve."

"You can do it, Yamaguchi."

He couldn't stay calm. He couldn't do it. A serve that can't even go over the net isn't a "nice" serve.

In that split second, there was nothing louder than the sound of the ball hitting the wooden floor. He could vividly remember the fear that started swelling in his chest when his teammates turned to look at him. They were saying "don't mind" and "don't worry about it", but their expressions told him otherwise.

He'd always been at the sidelines, or at the bench, yelling encouragements at his teammates when they failed to receive or spike the ball. But that time was his first time being on the receiving end of those words in an official match.

They made him feel worse.

The disappointment. The humiliation. The nausea that was slowly creeping up his throat.

He wanted to run away.

He wanted to hide in the bathroom until the match was over.

His teammates were relying on him and yet, he still messed up his only chance to prove his worth in that match.