The beginning of the End

It was another awful day for Scott Evans, everything that happened around him broke him into pieces. 10 years ago, he was 8 back then when his parents had a business trip in Japan. He has an older brother named Jack Evans who was just 4 years older than him.

Their parents who were supposed to have a 3-day business trip in Japan didn't come back. They tried to call their father but nobody answered the phone, they tried calling their mother but no one picked up either. After 4 days his brother received a call from an unknown number. He picked up the phone and answered it.

"Hello, who's this?" asked by Jack.

"Hello, this is John, may I talk to Jack Evans?" an unknown voice responded.

"Speaking, Mr. John, what is it?" said Jack.

"Hey kid, listen, I'm your father's assistant. I was together with him, your mother and the other employees during the business trip in Japan, and... the whole team was slaughtered, they were... massacred. They shot them all, lots of bullets pierced through their bodies. I was the only one who survived. Luckily, I went to comfort room before everything happened, but I'm sorry to tell you that both of your parents had died in that incident. I don't know who did it. I saw a lot of men wearing black with masks on their faces carrying high-powered guns. We were in the hotel and we're on our way out when it happened. The police are currently investigating the case, and I'm the only person who could contact the family members of each dead employee." said John.

"....." Jack was speechless.

"Hello, Mr. Jack Evans, are you still there?" asked by Mr. John.

Jack couldn't speak a word, he dropped the phone, and tears started to fall from his eyes. His younger brother saw him and asked why he was crying. Jack couldn't say a thing, he ran to his younger brother and hugged him.

"I'm so sorry Scott, Mom and Dad were dead." Jack said to his brother.

"What are you talking about? Are you joking?" Scott replied with a doubt.

"No Scott. Dad's friend called and told me that they were killed in their business trip and that he was the only one who survived." Assured by Jack.

"No way! What are we going to do now? How can we go see mom and dad? I want to go and see mom and dad!" angrily replied by Scott.

Jack hugged him tighter as tears calmly flow out from their eyes.

"I'm Sorry Scott. We wouldn't see them anymore. There's nothing we can do about it. They're gone." Jack said.

Jack and Scott were both intelligent. Their family was rich but now, they only have each other after losing their parents, they didn't know any other relatives. They cried all day. Never knowing what to do.

They both excelled in their classes and were always in the top students' list, with the money left to them by their parents, they both finished high school and were able to tend for themselves at the same time. After finishing high school, Jack started working to earn money in order for Scott to be able to continue going to college.

Scott couldn't resist his brother's offer of sacrificing himself so he could go to college. So he continued his college education and let his brother work so that they could have enough money for their needs. When he entered college, he started seeing strange things. He began seeing entities that he once thought were not real. In his school, he could see ghosts and spirits. At first he didn't realize it nor believed it. He wasn't scared at all, nor did he care about it. He was too busy in school because he wanted to finish studying as fast as he could so that he would be able to earn enough money to help and support his brother's education as well.