The only chapter

Hi everyone! On a request from a friend I have written a story. This was written on the spur of the moment so sorry but it’s not edited. If you find any mistakes please tell me, thanks :D

The sun shone brightly and I groaned. Well tried to anyway. It’s rather hard to do anything except think when you’re a rock, being limbless and nerveless and such (if you take biology you will know how important nerves are my friend).
Sometimes I wonder what my fellow rocks are thinking. For instance, take my best friend Scoria. At least I hope he/she’s my best friend. I dunno, sitting/lying/standing (It’s so hard to tell!) next to another rock for years on end does lend them a certain affection but who knows. Maybe last year when a wind knocked me onto another side of mine, I accidentally nudged him/her and now he/she hates me.
Oh yeah back to the point. My best friend Scoria (I’m just going to have to assume here) is a dark grey basalt rock and so far has not moved, said anything or shown any signs of life in the last 80 years. Or maybe that’s just me thinking that. Again, being a rock is really difficult.
Life is harder when you see animals, plants and the like moving around and communicating. Just imagine it! Having actual friends and actual enemies and being able to tell other beings things and communicate with one another! Why the very thought is just astounding! For instance, how does one go about ‘moving’? Does it just happen? And what about talking to other things? Do you just open your mouth and they understand?
Maybe being a plant would be easier. All you have to do to communicate is send chemicals to other plants and animals and then stay alert for how they respond. But you don’t want to be a small plant that gets eaten or dies straight away. A tree! I want to be a tree! A large redwood, King of the forest! That’s what I want. With the nerves to feel the sun, detect water and limbs to move in time with the wind.
Yes a large redwood tree will do nicely. That’s decided, I somehow need to grab a hold of a seed somehow and then when it grows I can grow with it. I suppose that if I get my minerals and the like absorbed into the tree while it’s young, when it grows then it’ll take me with it. That’s settled then, I’ll just keep waiting til a seed drops on top of me and starts growing. Til then I’ll think about what I’ll do once I am a tree.