Prologue

In the year 3015 the government found a way to implant a timer in the wrists of the American population that told everyone how long they had until their deaths. Everyone was forced to get them whether they wanted them or not. The uprising it caused was quickly extinguished. As years passed the people began to accept the fact the timers existed and just dealt with it because they did, in fact, work.

People would look at their wrists one minute and still have eighty years left to live but the next minute they would have made a choice that made the time drop down to only one hour left. Other consequences could lead to the opposite effect, such as a new cure for a disease that has killed many people. This realization caused panic in some but others found this to be rather helpful. These effects meant that people could spend their finals doing what they pleased depending on the death. It also made it easier for some people to prepare for the death.

Years passed and the technology improved to make the timers more concealable yet easy to read. Eventually it got to the point where just a microchip was implanted and if one were to touch their wrist, as if to check their pulse, after opening their hand a projection of the time they would have left would pop up. An application was added on later to make it easier for cops and such to figure out the time of death for murder victims since it was near to impossible to remove the microchip. After a while people began to actually like the chip to the point that many couldn't live without it.

When 3099 came, the year Mordecai Fergus was born; the technology had grown so advanced that there was a defect in the technology. This caused eight people, including Mordecai, to become what one might consider... immortal. He and the others could still die like everyone else; however, they didn't necessarily stay dead. The timer was also different. Instead of telling them how long they had until they died it told everyone else how long they had until they came back.

This caused a problem for a government and they decided that when everyone in the group turned sixteen on December 31, 3115, they would hunt them down and experiment on them to make them invincible. The government planned to use them as human weapons in the newly developing world war.