Today We Begin

"Dammit, Sam."
"What?!"
"You bought cookies with raisins in them!?"
"No I didn't."
"Yeah ok sure, you try one then."
"Ugh."
"Told ya!"
"This is not my fault, they labeled it wrong and I can't be at fault for that."
"You certainly can!"
"These pain meds are making you cranky."
"And you think pointing that out is what? Going to make me less cranky?!"
"One can dream."
Andy picks up the box of raisin infested cookies and dramatically drops them into the trash, bringing an end to their fight with a cheeky smile and I small sashay of her hips.
"Grapes should stay grapes, none of this gross stuff. Well actually I like wine so now I'm torn."
"Don't be, McNally. I don't really like wine and I really hate raisins so I'll carry the effort for both of us."
"Oh my night in shining armor, what would I do without you?"
"Probably just sit in silence and stare at the wall."
"The wall probably wouldn't make fun of me for being cranky."
"Probably?"
"You know that western wall can be a real asshole sometimes."
"I know, none of us are safe."
Andy trails Sam as he moves to the couch where she plops down, her feet on his lap.
"So what shifts do you have this week?"
"Uh well I only have one night shift and the rest are all 9 to 5, like a true police officer."
"Well my shifts are... oh wait I'm a detective so I always go home at 5, unless I develop an unhealthy obsession with a case, then you might never see me again. Just glimpses at the coffee machine as I scratch my beard and make grunting noises."
"Ah yes, then I'd have both our places to myself."
"Only if you're planning to bust the lock on my door."
"About that... I'm sorry for being so weird with the key, of course I want it. I think I just want to keep things light and good and me being able to get into your place without banging on the door wouldn't change that."
"So you want it?"
"Definitely."
"Too bad, I already gave it to Oliver, he's always there for me."
Laughing, Sam gets up and pecks Andy on the lips as he heads to the bedroom to grab her key, elated that she wants it. The bombing had been last week and although Sam wants to figure out what is going on with the higher ups and all these cover ups, Andy came first... always. She had gotten some meds to help with pain from the bruising and seems to be doing just fine, but sometimes she would look up and see Sam just staring at her with this look of content like he is just glad that she's still there.
Life was good, they spend almost all their time together and it wasn't even a sexual thing all the time. Unlike when they started dating the first time around, a lot of their time together is just them lying in bed talking or hanging out on the couch watching dumb TV. There is a weight off their shoulders, their whole lives ahead of them and all the time in the world to get it right this time.