Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

Five Years Ago

"Deacon, this is so not fair," Boyd LeBlanc whined.

Deacon Hart turned in his seat to look at his best friend. "Cry about it, LeBlanc."

Boyd pouted, knowing she probably wouldn't get her way. Deacon was very stubborn when it all came down to it. He was very used to getting his way.

"It is my birthday," she said, trying one last time to convince Deacon that she really did not want to go to this party.

"Yeah, you're eighteen now. That means that you need to go to at least one party before we graduate." Deacon grinned.

He turned his eyes back onto the road and laughed when he heard her groan.

"I'm really not going to get my way, am I?" She asked, running her hand through her cropped brown hair.

"No, Ma'am," Deacon responded.

"You are officially the worst best friend ever."

"Don't I know it."

The remainder of the ride was silent; Deacon smiling over his win and Boyd pouting over her loss.

Boyd realized she really had no idea where they were actually going as the black Porsche sped down the highway. She eyed the speedometer as it reached nearly one hundred and forty. Her hand clenched on her seatbelt. Deacon must've noticed because he let out a gruff chuckle.

"Relax, Boyd. I'm an excellent driver."

She harrumphed. "No, you're just spoiled."

He chuckled again but otherwise ignored he comment. He'd been told many times by many people that he was spoiled and the only time that he never took offense to it was when Boyd said it, except when he saw that small smile begin to form on her face.

Deacon finally pulled off the highway and turned onto a long gravel road. Boyd couldn't help it when goose bumps started to appear on her arms.

"Are you taking me somewhere to kill me?" She asked.

"Yeah." He smirked.

She didn't respond and he pulled the sports car up behind a long line of cars on the side of the road.

"C'mon, you big baby, get out of the car," Deacon said, undoing his seatbelt and opening his door.

"Are you going to drink tonight?" Boyd asked as they walked up the gravel road to a brightly lit cabin. She could hear the bass pounding from the sound system already.

"Are you up to driving home?"

Boyd couldn't afford a car and Deacon liked to get piss drunk at parties, so he usually convinced Boyd to drive him in his car. This was the reason he'd taught her to drive standard. And Boyd didn't complain because she got to drive his Porsche.

"I guess."

He put his arm around her shoulders and she leaned her head against his. She was tired. She'd been working double shifts as a waitress at the truck stop for the past couple of weeks to earn money for university. It took a lot of convincing on Deacon's part to talk her out of bed and to accompany him to the party.

"We won't stay long," Deacon said, sensing her exhaustion.

She smiled at him. "Good, I have a History test on Monday."

"Happy Birthday, LeBlanc."

.o.

Boyd could hear her cell phone going off and she really didn't want to answer it but it just kept ringing. She pried her tired eyes open and found the digital clock by her bed. It was 2:30 AM. There was only one person that would call her that late and she hated him for it. She'd worked at the diner until one this morning and was aching for a good night's sleep. The dark circles under her eyes would attest to that.