A Blessing in Disguise (oneshot)

Blessings come from unexpected people.

While a teenage girl was waiting for her mother in the hospital, a bunch of nurses and a doctor passed in front of her and rushed to a patient lying in the stretcher who just arrived from a car accident. While she was watching them, she happens to see the victim and recognized it as a little girl about the age of five or six despite of the blood covering most of its face. The teenage girl looked away while the little girl was carried in the emergency room, just in front from where she sat. Not long after when the little girl was admitted inside, a woman rushed in and talked to the doctor who just got out from the emergency room. Hearing that the little girl is presently suffering from a severe blood loss due to the accident she got earlier, the teenage girl felt pity and wished she could do anything to help. She then asked the nurse who just got out from the emergency room about the little girl and knew that she was in desperate need for a rare AB Positive blood type. She then remembered her blood type similar to the little girl so she immediately offered herself to be a blood donor.

        During the process, the little girl gained consciousness and saw the teenage girl smiling beside her. She managed to say to the little girl, “You’ll be fine” just right after the little girl closed her eyes again.

The donation became successful and the teenage girl was relieved in knowing that she saved someone’s life. She later learned that the woman who talked to the doctor earlier was just the little girl’s aunt since the girl’s parents already died a few years ago. The women thanked the teenage girl and asked for her name. She replied, “Mary”.

Years later, the teenage girl grew up and soon became a mother. One day, her daughter got sick and was admitted in a hospital. She later learned that her daughter was suffering from a dengue fever and was in need of blood donation. Knowing she can’t do anything since the doctor forbids her to donate because of her sickness and knowing she can’t pay the hospital bill, she felt helpless. She went out of the hospital and prayed in the church. When she came back and opened the door in her daughter’s ward, she stopped in hearing a voice saying, “You’ll be fine.” Curious of the person behind the sound, she went in and took a look. She was surprised to see a familiar face wearing a doctor’s suit donating blood to her daughter. The doctor smiled in seeing the once teenage girl, and after a while went to her.

“My aunt told me about the person who saved my life once and I wasn’t wrong that it was you whom I saw walking around the corner in this hospital, the same one I saw donating blood for me that day. Thank you, Mary. I owe you my life.” The doctor said.

Mary cried, hugged the doctor and thanked her a lot. She never thought that, that ordinary day she helped someone, would be the key for that someone to help her too. The doctor smiled and left after that. The nurse who was left in the ward came to her and said, “You’re so lucky to have the owner of this hospital clearing off your bills and donating blood for your daughter.”