a mysterious rainy day

"Wake up, Anisha. This is the fifth time today, and it's only the third day of school!" I wake up with drool dried up on my cheek. I twist and turn as my eyes adjust to the lighting of the room. Rubbing my eyes, I look at my alarm at my bedside table. 7:45 a.m.

"Why didn't you wake me up sooner? I guess I'll skip breakfast" I said shoving my laptop into my backpack. I tear down the stairs, picking up an apple as my lunch for the day. I run down the sidewalk as my backpack swings side to side. I see a figure running in school-uniform. Squinting my eyes, I let out a gasp. I begin to dash toward the figure in excitement.

"Aisha! Aisha, slow down!" I stop, gasping for air. The figure turns around in confusion. "Hah! I knew you would be late! Picking up on your old habits, huh?" She says, smiling. I look her dead in the eyes, but she immediately turns around and continues walking.

"Well, the last one to school owes the other a honeybun," Aisha says before she dashes away, her lightweight string bag swinging behind her.

"That's not fair! You're literally on the track team!" I say with a raspy voice.

"Two more minutes until the bell rings for homeroom," say the announcements. Luckily, I'm able to make it before the five-minute tardy mark. I sit down on the creaky, old, metal seat, trying my best not to make a sound. Unfortunately, Aisha sits in the back of the classroom, but I am stuck with Tiffany, otherwise known as "the Hot Cheeto girl". I'd prefer to sit next to Aisha any day, but she's always hung up with her other friends during homeroom. Today is like the past two days, quiet and tiresome. Of course, that's how it's always been at Greenwood Middle School.

The bell rings for dismissal, and, just my luck, it's raining. If it was a Tuesday, this wouldn't be a problem. I would sit and lounge in the library, no one in the large room but the librarian and I. Unfortunately, I had to attend my tutoring class back home. Aisha usually goes home without me, since her last period class is in front of the entrance. I sigh as the rain gets heavier and heavier. The forecast said there was only a 38% chance of rain. I guess it's just my lucky day.

As soon as I step into the rain, my pants get soaked in wet, muddy water. My house wasn't too far from the school, though, so I would be okay. It was quiet and lonely walking down the sidewalk. All I could hear was the rain and my heavy breathing. Even so, something felt out of the ordinary - something that made me shudder in my old, white sneakers. My gut was telling me to run, but I decided to observe and listen instead.

Stomp, Stomp, STOMP.

There was someone. Someone was behind me. Up until now, I thought I was the only one that went down this path to get home. It was probably nothing, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy. I started to walk a little faster, giving a signal to whoever was behind me that I was alert. To my dismay, the footsteps only continued to get louder behind me.

I turned around with my fists tensed. Nothing. No one was there. I continued to walk back home. This time, I felt as if whoever was there, was now gone.

Was that real, or was it just my imagination? Whatever it was, I can't seem to get my mind off of it.