Chapter 1

By the time the sun dipped in the horizon, the city's dump yard was crawling with police officers along with the mosquitoes who call this place their home. As far as one could see, the endless dumps of garbage stretched across almost as if there was nothing beyond it. Vijay sighed, staring at the sight in front of him. The stench that surrounded the place masked the usual smell that comes along with a crime scene with a dead body. He shook his head trying to clear the last remnants of his sleep and walked over to the people who were murmuring among themselves. "Which one of you saw the body first?". The murmurs didn't stop. Coffee, I need more coffee he thought. He turned around to the constable who stood shivering in the morning cold " Bring whoever saw the body first over here" he ordered. The constable walked away nodding his head.

The constable bought a dark skinned, thin man with a slightly hunched back over to him. He wore the standard brown uniforms worn by the people who worked here. He pulled the blue mask down from his mouth looking tired as he knew what was coming. "At what time did you come to work today?", I asked. " I come everyday at 5 am sir", he mumbled. "Did you come at the same time today?", I inquired even knowing the answer. This was standard procedure and I had to endure it. "Yes sir", he replied. " At what time did you come across the body?". The worker stared down at the white cloth that covered the body. I cleared my throat after two minutes, getting impatient. He looked up frightened and replied "At about 5:10 sir". "I called the police immediately,'' he added. I was used to the look I saw in his eyes. Everyone feared getting involved with the police, especially considering it was a murder.

I continued with the procedure "Did you notice anything near the body or anyone acting suspiciously?". "No sir nothing at all". "Are you sure about that?", I asked slightly raising my voice. "Yes sir", he reaffirmed. The possibility of him seeing something was very slim yet I did what the rules demanded me too. The same rules, I thought that made people hesitant to call the police. The first reporter is often considered a suspect which is why a lot of calls come in anonymous. Tracking them down made the job harder.

"We'll call you down to the station if we need anything else. Give your name, address and your contact number to the constable" and indicated that he could go. As he walked away, I turned around to another constable and asked "Why isn't the forensic team here yet?", I yelled. The constable flinched and answered "They're on there was sir". It wasn't his fault and I knew I shouldn't be taking my anger out on him. It was the second body within the span of the month. He had a nagging suspicion that the two bodies were related but the commissioner needed proof. He is a screw up he thought to himself.

"Sir they're here", a constable said coming up to me. I was annoyed to say the least "Those bastards, taking advantage of our situation...what a bunch of good for nothing jerks" I walked away mumbling to myself. " We've been waiting for you" I said venomously approaching them. The look on my face told them everything I wanted to say. "Sorry sir we were informed late", one of them spoke up. I turned around to the constable and raised an eyebrow "Well?", I grumbled. "No sir we informed them as soon as we got the call", he replied. " Traffic sir", another one chirped up. I turned around " I suggest you come up with better excuses next time factoring the time, place and everything else" in a dangerously low voice " and I also suggest you get to work immediately" I finished in a no nonsense tone. They mumbled their apologies and got to work.