Ascension

Darkness. That was all David could see. Nothing but empty darkness.

   And then he woke up.

   His head buzzed, swirling with thoughts of "who" and "what" and "where" and "why". And then he saw him.

   "Oh, David! You're awake!"

   "Daniel?!" he exclaimed. "I thought you were going to Antarctica?!"

   "A little birdie told me that it was a lie," he said with a smile. "So, I decided to kidnap you to get my revenge! Your precious campers will be wondering, 'Oh, my, where could David have gone?' It'll be so much fun to watch!"

   But something seemed... off. His smile wasn't as menacing, his gaze slightly uncertain.

   "Daniel..." David sighed. "Be honest with me, please. Why am I here? You know they don't care about me..."

   Daniel's facade broke as soon as David spoke. He looked away, face red with embarrassment. "I... I need your help."

   "No."

   Daniel look back at his captive, shocked. "Wh- what?! Just like that?! You won't even give me a chance?!"

   "I already gave you a chance, and you messed up, bad!" David snapped. "You put my campers in danger, you put me in danger, you put everyone in danger!"

   Daniel's lip quivered, and he took a deep breath. "Please... I need help..."

   David stared at him for a few seconds before sighing. "I won't help you until you untie me."

   Daniel pushed back a smile, relieved that David was willing to cooperate. "Yes, of course." He walked around to the back of the chair David was tied to as he cut at the ropes. The red-head could feel Daniel's breath on his neck as he carefully hacked away at the ropes, causing him to blush.

   "Alright, you should be good," the blond said. David stood up, rubbing his wrists.

   "Thank you. Now... what do you need help with?"

   Daniel bit his lip before asking his question. "How did you ascend so quickly?"

   David was speechless for a second. "Wh-what?! What do you mean?!"

   "You've clearly already reached ascension, and you're not even 25 yet! How do you manage to do it?!" Daniel pleaded.

   "I'm not- what makes you think I've 'ascended'?"

   Daniel sighed, clearly annoyed he had to explain it. "You're always so happy! You have no negative energy, you're so pure, you-"

   He was cut off by David laughing. "Oh, Daniel! That isn't because of me ascending or whatever. I'm just... happy with who I am!"

   The blond stared at him, confused. "But.. you cant achieve true happiness w-without... how are you so happy, David?"

   David smiled, placing his hand on Daniel's shoulder reassuringly. "I'm where I belong."

   Daniel drew in a shaky breath, tears pricking at the edges of his eyes. "I..I don't know where I belong..."

   "Wha-?"

    "I-I was raised to be a part of this cult, I was taught that I would never be truly happy unless I sacrificed others' happiness, but here you are! You're happy, and at the same time, you make others happy! I don't understand, I don't-" Daniel stopped as he started to sob. David pulled him into a hug, which Daniel quickly reciprocated, burying his face into the red-head's shoulder. The two stood there, embracing each other.

   After a few minutes, Daniel's sobs quieted down, but he was reluctant to let go.

   "Hey, Daniel?" David said as he pulled away. "Do you... want to stay here at camp? With me and Gwen?"

   "Wh-what..?"

   "Well, it's clear you want to find where you belong, so I think it would be nice to introduce you to normal camp life, and see if you think you belong there!"

   "David, I... thank you..."

   Daniel pulled the other male into another hug. David smiled, planting a kiss on Daniel's forehead.

   "Don't be scared, okay? I'm here for you. I always will be."