Burning the bridge

Maryl was walking down the beach with her cross-body bag almost hanging off her right shoulder. Her faux black leather jacket hanging on her shoulder. The gold colored chain from her bag, bathing in the glow from the illuminating sunset. She spotted three empty chairs near the wooden stairs leading back to the mansion. She sat on it and grabbed from her bag a bottle of Coca Cola that she got from Jon.

She had to get away from the wild party her friends threw in their group's honor. They recently won in a fashion showdown with AMFI (Amsterdam Fashion Institute). 

Many students from not only Mondriaan, but also from Albeda and Zadkine came to celebrate in the grand mansion at The Hague . She had seen some of her old friends socializing with some new and unfamiliar faces. Between the crowd of dancing individuals and hard drinking students she had spotted Elena, an old friend of hers who she didn't want to see at the moment.

An old friend who seemed to think her problems were more important than that of anyone who would socialize with her. Maryl used to be Elena's friend, a person who she considered trustworthy. But she soon noticed that their friendship has turned into something...toxic. Elena had been acting weird the last few weeks. She had asked Maryl to go out with her to a club. Maryl thought about the request and realize she wasn't asking to have fun together. Elena just needed her to be there so that she wouldn't feel embarrassed dancing there. Her aunt Nathalie and Maryl's friend Hera have both told her that Elena is taking her for granted.

The more she thought about this 'friendship', the more she felt sick to her stomach. 

"Aren't friends supposed to be there for one another?" Maryl said to herself solemnly. 

" Aren't friends supposed to give each other their support and loyalty equally? 

So...why does it feel like I'm not gaining any of those things in return?" 

She felt the tears trickling down from her face knowing the harsh truth. She looked at her phone, seeing the messages that came from Hera and Jon. She let them know where she was and a few minutes later, both the tall red-haired girl and silver haired boy came. 

One sitting on her left and the other one on her right. Both comforting her through the upcoming night. 

The grand party was long forgotten from their minds.