Wake Up

Superman.

That's what you always joked: "Simeon, you're my Superman."

The angel never failed to chuckle, only vaguely understanding the reference, always accepting the compliment by stealing a kiss from your lips. But you meant the words with all your heart.

Superman. The strongest man in the world.

And Simeon was just that.

You learned early on in your relationship that the angel was built like a Greek god, from the way he would wrap an arm around your waist and lift you with one hand to steal you away from whoever was holding your attention—and then there came the day when you got to see the muscles hidden underneath the clothes, and you learned he really was like Superman. Strength, stamina, and endurance to boot.

Indeed, Simeon was among the strongest individuals in the entire Devildom during his yearlong stay, and you never forgot that fact for a moment.

But you only understood the scope of his mental strength on the final day of the exchange program.

"W-what do you mean?" You asked, your eyebrows furrowing. You didn't understand. Surely you were hearing Simeon wrong. "Goodbye? Won't we be seeing each other after this?"

"Little lamb," Simeon said affectionately, but he was using the nickname he hadn't used since the beginning of the school year, back before the two of you ever grew involved. He was being distant. "You must understand that an angel and a human can never truly..."

He didn't finish the sentence, knowing that you knew exactly what he was trying to say.

"You told me..." You swallowed hard, feeling the thickness in your throat and the tremble of your lips. "You told me you would always love me."

"And I will," Simeon repeated. "But from afar. You must return to the human realm, and I have Celestial duties to attend to."

"Y-you said you loved me. You—you said you were in love with me—" You choked at the end of your words, the thickness in your throat growing almost too dense for you to bear. But you continued on, the accusatory tone of your voice never dropping. "Were—were you lying?"

Silence.

You took a step forward, tears suddenly threatening to spill from your eyes. But you never faltered. You had to know. You had to.

"Tell me, Simeon—were you lying?!"

The angel turned to you, sorrow lacing the clear blue eyes you'd grown to love so much, but they weren't sad for his sake. They were sad for yours. He gazed down at you with pity.

"I never lied to you, little lamb," He raised a hand to cup your cheek. "You have captured my heart. But we cannot be together. It's unnatural, for an angel and a human, and...we cannot."

You let out a sound that sounded almost like a child throwing a tantrum, but you couldn't bring yourself to care as you grabbed Simeon's shoulders. You attempted to shove him away from you, to put some much-needed distance between your bodies so that you could suppress the dam of emotions threatening to break free, but the angel was too strong for him to even realize you were trying to push him away.

Superman, you thought. The affectionate nickname left a dark shadow where it passed through your mind.

Unable to push him away, you gripped his shoulders, hating that you were using him to steady yourself even as the guy was breaking up with you.

"Bastard!"

Deep down, you knew that insulting Simeon wasn't the way to go to release the bubble of emotions you were feeling. Hell, you were more upset than you were angry, but when you felt the tiniest better after that first insult, the rest seemed to flow from your lips as easily as, well, water from a dam. And it seemed that you had finally broken. "You're awful, Simeon—awful! How could you be so heartless? So cruel? I—I—" You hesitated, wondering if you were ready for your next words.