O L I V E T R E E B L O O M S

I'm standing here in the airport, waiting for her. It says in the information that her plane already landed. It's been six years and today my long wait will be over.

From a far I saw her walking, pushing a cart of her baggage. She looks mature, with a lot of changes in her face, especially to her hair that used to be just shoulder length, now it falls in her waist but no matter how her look changes, she's still my Penelope.

She's looking around and a few moments our gaze met. The flash of memories and promises flooded me.

(F L A S H B A C K)

I was sitting under the tree in a secret garden behind the school, listening to music using my earphones. I felt her sit beside me then she removed one of the earphones and put it in her ear. "I knew that you'd be here." She said that without looking at me, so I looked at her direction. She's scanning the secret garden, our secret meeting place, the place where we always hangout.

"Your classmates said you cut classes again, why did you do that again Zean? How will I leave you, if you keep on doing that?" I pinched her chubby cheeks. "Then don't leave me Nel. Stay here." I said those staring at her eyes.

And there that sad smile again, "You know I can't Z, mom won't allow it." I let go of her cheeks.
I know why and I understand why she has to leave but if I were to choose I want her to stay. "I know. I understand, I'm just kidding Nel. I won't do anything like this again and you don't have to worry about me or anything, this is the last time, and I will do well while you are away." I messed her hair, and there goes my favorite reaction, her cute annoyed face.

"I'm bored, do you want to play, Nel?" she looked so confused, she looked at her wrist watch. "But Z, we're going to the airport in 15 minutes. I don't think we can still play at that short time." I turned around and face her, "It's just a truth or dare, it'll be fast and I think 15 minutes will be more than enough." I smiled when she put her hair behind her ears. "Fine, Game."

"Truth or Dare" I asked her, she chuckled "I don't trust how mischievous your brain works, so I'll go for Truth." She intertwined her fingers in front of me. "It's just a simple question Nel, no need for that." She then put her hand down. I looked intently in her eyes, "What's your definition of love?" I saw it in her face, she was stunned with the question, and then she laughed, "Is there something funny with my question, why are you laughing?" she even laughed more, and I savor that moment. Watching her laugh and not caring about anything. Maybe I'll miss this kind of moment, might as well make the best of it.

"Where did you get that question? Is that from a slam book?" She continued laughing. "What? Is odd for a guy to ask stuff about love?" she finally finished laughing then she inhaled, "Not really, but as I've known you. You're not interested in stuff related to that thing called 'love', which you once called stupid. So what's with the sudden interest and that sudden question?" I looked away as I blush a little "Are you going to answer it or I will give a dare?" she looked at me suspiciously "You're avoiding the question." I messed her hair "It doesn't matter, you have to answer it" She smiled "Fine then, my definition of Love is my Family, of course. My family's happiness, their health and wealth and also to my friends" I wasn't surprised by her answer, Penelope is a family person.

An obedient daughter, she follows all of her parent's orders. She even stands as a second mother to her siblings, since her parents are busy; her mom works abroad while her dad is a sales man. Now that her mother is stable there and father already resigned from his job, they decided to migrate. Nel and her siblings have to move there to live and study.

At first it was difficult for Nel, but she had no choice but to accept it. "How about you, you answer to the question too." I blushed, "Be original Penelope, ask me a different question. Don't just copy my question" I pretend to sound mad. "I see you blushing, you really look cute." She giggled "Now I want to know what you'll answer." she started poking my sides, she know that it tickles me. I held her hands to stop her from poking my sides, "Do you really want to know?" I stare at her eyes as she slowly nodded "You" she looked confused "What me?" I chuckle a little "You're my definition of Love." She blushed hard

"What kind of joke is this, Zean? It's not funny!" I lean close my face, "You said that you want to know? So I told you. Who said that I was joking? I'm serious here Penelope." She looked at me like I said something unbelievable. "Are you confessing your feelings to me?" I just stared at her "Maybe" I let go of her hands and leans back to the tree "You know, I'll be staying abroad from a long time right." she looked away "I know Nel, I know but I'm willing to wait. Until you came back, until you love me back." She looked at me "Who said I don't love you?" I was shocked... She feels the same too?

"Wait, can you repeat what you said?" she stood up and dusted off the grass in her jeans, "I know you heard it Z. I won't repeat myself"

I sit there and watch her walk out of our secret garden; she turns around a little and mouthed "Wait for me, Zean. I'll be back for you." She smiled and continued walking. I stood up and shouted "Penelope Gomez, my definition of Love. I promised to wait for you" she waved her hand and shouted back "I'll hold on to that promise."

(E N D O F F L A S H B A C K)

From that day on, we never lost communication. Penelope and I had a stronger bond and I worked hard and study more.
I want Nel to be proud of me and my accomplishments. I want that when Nel is back here, I can say that I achieved something.
When time arrives that we can finally together, I want her to be proud of me. I want to face her parents with pride; I want to be worthy enough that when I asked for Penelope's hand in marriage, they will agree.
I want that and I'm proud that I did.

As our gaze met, I saw her walked in a fasten phase, she moved her baggage in the side and give me a hug, it was a tight one. The hug felt like forever and when she finally let go from the hug, we just gaze at each other "How many years that was?"

We maintain the gaze "Six years... Six years of waiting Penelope." She smiled at me, "Yeah, after six year. I'm finally back." I smiled back at her "I kept my promise Nel." She giggles "I know. I always know you will and I never doubt that you will." I lean my head down, "I love you, Zean." I smiled "I love you too Penelope." and kissed her.

My Penelope... My everything, my definition of love; the reason why I learned patience.