way far beyond

Years ago, before the start of the end, even before the end of the start, Steve Rogers attends an interview. For the first time in seventy years, Captain America is live in the public eye, mere weeks after recovering from the longest and most tragic sleep in history.

He leans into a red chair opposite a man, with his hair trimmed and combed back and the creases of his clothes ironed to oblivion. He answers questions for thirty minutes, from personal to political, and the media takes their pick. Judge. Label. But no matter what they say, all the war propaganda and history books have made one thing certain. Captain America is perfect, loyal and an embodiment of truth.

And just like before, the truth becomes anything the government wants. It's inevitable. It's always been that way.

The truth is Captain America says immigrants should go back to where they came from. The truth is Captain America says women do not need useless rights. The truth is Captain America says homosexuality is wrong, and the truth is Captain America is right.

Hot blood simmers through Steve's veins every time he hears it.

Three years later, Steve Rogers takes down HYDRA, who have been floating throughout SHIELD without bounds. Similarly, Steve Rogers embarks a decision to eliminate every one of those diseased thoughts floating through the government's publicity. Steve Rogers attends another interview.

The media takes their pick again. Steve Rogers is lonely, loyal and an embodiment of truth. Except for this time, the truth becomes what Steve wants it to be. What Steve knows it to be. For the first time, the truth becomes true. Steve Rogers is the son of immigrants, is a feminist, supports homosexual rights.

And even then, it is not everything. Steve is honest, but he isn't open. The media speculates and memes, #givecaptainamericaaboyfriend, but nobody realises the truth behind their words. Not even his best friend of almost a hundred years. Steve is too good at hiding. He's learnt how to do it flawlessly.

The media does notice his ability to disappear. They do when the UN explodes, the Winter Soldier is made, and Tony Stark returns from Siberia with a shield and not a Captain.

The media may think they hold the truth about Steve Rogers, but they don't, and they never will.

But here it is, pure and naked. No jokes, no tricks, no catches, no lies. Here is the truth. Here is the honest to god, real, genuine fucking truth.

Steve loves Bucky to utter pieces.

Steve has killed for Bucky. Steve has died for Bucky.

Steve put him before the Avengers. If given the choice, he'd put Bucky before the fate of the universe. Betray everything and leave ruins and devastation behind him if it made Bucky smile.

Because Bucky captures him. Bucky has infiltrated every fibre of Steve's being, ever since '38 when he'd been a saviour from bullies with the sun shining on his back illuminating his figure like an angel. How many times has Steve wondered where his wings and halo were hiding?

Bucky is just loss after loss after loss, and every time Steve wonders if this will be it. Is this going to be the last time I ever see you?

They vowed they would always go back to each other, and they swore they'd never leave no matter the circumstance. I'm with you till the end of the line. That's set-in-stone. That's a truth engraved upon the very stars.

But no matter how he's shown it, or the extent of those actions, or how much he's felt it... he has never said it.

Bucky doesn't know.