DO YOU SEE ME NOW

[Author's note

I highkey wrote this in one sitting so it's not the best but yeet.

Popping out oneshots so I can better my writing style yeet. Welcome to the first of many. Plot holes for life.

Enjoy. Or try to, I guess lol]

-----------------👁️-----------------

Tenten's parents died before she learned how to speak.

Their names? She wasn't told. How they died? She never knew. All she remembered was waking up one day in a house with cracks in the ceiling and creaks on the wooden floor, staring up at a tower of a strange woman who reeked of cigarettes and sewers.

"Ugh, I can't believe they lumped me with this shit."

That was the first and last time her caretaker ever spoke to her.

-----👁️-----

Four years later, Tenten is eight and it's her first day at the Academy. Parents adorn their children with love, showing off their pride in face splitting grins. Tenten stands in the middle of the all the happiness and watches.

How many times has she imagined what it would feel like? To have parents that take you out for food and give you hugs and tuck you in at night and just love you?

"Attention students!" Tenten's daydreams come to a halt, and she turns to look up at the man...Iruka, was it? "Today is a ceremonial day!" Tenten doesn't feel ceremonial, she feels alone. "Because today you are all officially on your way to becoming shinobi!"

Everyone around her cheers, though Tenten sees the way some adults smile forcefully or avert their eyes. "I'm proud to be your teacher, and I hope each and every one of you get the best out of your education. And remember! If you ever need anything, I'll be here."

-----👁️-----

It was a flimsy speech really, and all of what Iruka said was just recycled half assed crap, but Tenten didn't know that.

So the next day she was at Iruka's office bawling about how nobody will ever love her.

All Iruka did was give her a pat as flimsy as his speech.

She felt stupid for expecting more.

(Oh, how stupid she was.)

(To think that someone actually cared.)

-----👁️-----

Tenten is nine and still alone.

She tries–she really does–to befriend the kids her age, but no one gives her the time of the day. They talk to her and they laugh together and Tenten believes that everything is actually going fine, until they decide to play a game without her or do a sleepover without inviting her.

Every time she gets pushed aside like she means nothing.

(She begins to believe that she does.)

She's idly walking through the playground to find someone to try to make friends with when she spots a group three guys and one girl; Umi, Hikiro, Setsune and Kaito. Tenten perks up, calling Umi's name and waving wildly, sure that they'd remember the girl  they played a game of hide and seek with.