Myth of Death

Year 2100

"Death is a curious thing, too" Wager said. I always hang around his isolated antique bookshop. I find him peculiar than anyone else.

He tells the most outrageous stories! Today, we were talking about things we find to be mysterious.

"I don't find death interesting at all. In the books, its simply ceasing to breathe or exist." I said.

He gave me a knowing look and suggested "I suppose you've never heard of the myth."

A myth? I replied "What myth, Wager?"

"Well, Julienne. It's quite a long story"

I looked at the clock 13:56. "I don't mind, Wager. The matron won't be looking for me anytime soon"

And Wager goes...

On the year 2020, the earth was distraught. There's a pandemic, a virus on the loose. It has infected millions of people. However, there was one thing people had missed for the past millennium.

There is another plague that had been around since the dawn of time. People called it Death.

Naturally, people died for unexpected reasons. We call those the Miracles.

The 2020 virus was simply a bacteria that triggers Death to overcome its host faster. They said people died of 'old age'. In fact, we could live until  the end of time.

Death infects the host in its most vulnerable time, the baby's first cry.

"Wait. Doesn't it mean that all humans had Death?" I asked

"Interesting question. There were infants born who don't cry. They hold the immunity to death. These humans would then die of immature reasons, when they could live for millions of years!"

"Was there ever a cure?"

Wager let out a small smirk and said "Yes, there was"

"What is it?"

"Death."

"What! That's gruesome!" I exclaimed

"Dear, the Death virus only started because citizens of Earth were too much. There was an imbalance in nature" Wager pulled out an old globe.

A scientist had created the virus to contain the population in a very minuscule way.

People in old scriptures have lived for 200 years! While, modern men have only lived for 45.

"So, the only way to stop it is?"

"To kill someone. A life for a life. Hammurabi. "

"Is that why I am not allowed to go out?" I asked

"Precisely." He answered.

"Is that why you're bookshop is so hidden?"

He paused his cleaning and uttered "One of the reasons."

I thought for a while and told Wager "I'd rather live for eternity than die. I'd fight for my life, Wager"

"As you should. You're an orphan"

I added "I guess. Death is curious thing too, Wager"

Wager nodded then looked at me in dismay. "Julienne?"

I walked towards him and said "Death killed my parents, Wager. I won't die like them."

I looked up with intent and slashed his throat.