chapter 1

There once was a young girl whose name was Hope – little ironic dont you think- she had one hell of a life but this was not in a good way. Hope is now dead at the age of 16 from the thing we all should fear ...cancer. Lets take a look at her life; at how it all started.

It was a normal day Hope had just go home from school and the 6 year old girl had her dinner and it was just a normal day. Until, she woke up in the middle of the night unable to breath she used what air was left in her lungs to scream and as her parents rushed in Hope passed out. She was rushed to hospital as soon as she got there the doctors realise that her lungs where filled with fluid which is the main symptom for stage 4 thyroid cancer. Hope was asleep for 5 days as they had to empty her lungs on a regular basis. Once the fluid was completely emptied out hope was slowly recovering. A month after she was diagnosed with stage 4 thyroid cancer (she still hadn't been told) she overheard her mum crying hysterically to her dad and through the tears hope could make out some of the things she was saying. All she could hear was cancer Hope I am not going to be a mother anymore! Hope stormed in and demanded to know what was wrong with her and if she was going to die but her parents said to have hope people have come back from stage 4 cancer before.

3days later

Hope was in a portable hospital bed staring up at the celling as it rushed by gas mask on her face her mum saying into her ear dont be afraid everything will be ok. And then darkness and complete suffocation no breath no air only darkness and death. The flash of light blinding her and the heat is cooking her alive; no movement what so ever nothing but he heat and a muffled sound of a voice becoming clearer asking if she can hear that person. She tried to speak but no air was entering her body. As she slowly regained strength it became clear to her that the surgery to remove the cancer has not been successful the doctor explained that the reason that Hope could not feel herself breathing was that she had a trachea in. a trachea is a surgically implanted hole in her throat that was enabling her to breathe as during the surgery they had complications which made her throat swell up so no air could access the lungs and the trachea tube holds back that swelling. Every day the trachea has to be replaced and according to her it is like pulling out fire from your throat never mind having to hold your breath for as long as the takes to change it. This was a regular occurrence in her day to day life as she would often go into the childrens play area when she knew she wasnt allowed because it is unsanitary and could cause an infection in her throat. She didnt care as far as she knew she was just a person that didnt need to breath and as a young child that is pretty cool in her eyes.

As years go by she pays no attention to her tube it is part of her body she is now 12 years old and in 3 hours she is going to start her first day in high school this rather exiting for her just like any child would be but she has so many risks and she cant take part in lots of lessons because of her trachea. She cant do any science practicals involving chemicals smoke or fire. she cant take part in 3d design because of all of the dust and wood filings. But she is going to school; she may miss out on a few days because of her chemotherapy and her radiotherapy but she might make some more friends.

Just before she sets off for school, she hears a knock on the door when she opens it, she sees her best friends Chloe and Canice she doesnt have a chance to say hi when they both simultaneously jump forward and hug her. After they release Hope from their grasp, she says sarcastically hi nice to see you too and they all start laughing. Hopes mother comes over and gives both of them a hug and says, is Jessica and Madeline late again?

unsurprisingly yes so we need to pick them up on our way chuckles Canice. They come in and Canice gives Hopes younger sister a piggyback and jess gets pulled away by the oldest sibling demanding she does Chloe's makeup. They spend about 30 minutes to hopes house until they had to leave for school. As they left they all got a huge hug from hopes siblings and her mother; her father was taking them to school in his Mazda 3-series pick up truck that was a deep wine red. Everyone got in the back and as they started to pull up to Jessica they were all really chatty and as soon as the short pale girl with extremely long brown hair approached with messy hair and no makeup on they all fell silent except for Canice who decided to be a total jerk and laugh at her until Chloe hit him then he shut up and scowled at her. Jess explained that her little brother had a might mare and decided to wake her up instead of the parents and once he had gone back to sleep she went to sleep and over slept. Hope immediately got out her hair brush, bobbles and makeup bag everyone started working on her even Canice who turns out can plait hair; the girls get going with the makeup and by the time they reach Maddie's house she looks like a model. Maddie ran out waving her arms about like she was at some dance party; as she approached the rear of the pick up truck hope's farther moved it forward ever so slightly. every time she was about o step on the truck he moved forward, this went on for a few minutes untill she got fed up and reluctantly decided to pretend to have a paddy on the side of the road. She sat down on the curb and frowned Hope shouted "get over here ya Muppet" Maddie got in and they sped off towards school.