Impressions (Snape x Hermione)

-Snape-

In the first class he taught her, Snape thought that she was just acting like a know-it-all. She kept raising her hand, even though he had asked Potter the questions. This had been the case for the past few years; she always raised her hand, even if he asked a specific student. Now Hermione was getting close to graduation along with all of her fellow classmates in her year.

"You seem to be in a sour mood, Severus," McGonagall commented, and he raised an eyebrow. "More than usual, that is. Are you bothered that you have to deal with Mr. Potter for the year in yet another potions class?"

"Of course not," Snape replied. "It's that Miss Granger, another one of your Gryffindors."

McGonagall seemed genuinely surprised. "Hermione is causing issues?"

"It depends on what you define as issues. She always raises her hand to answer questions she obviously knows the answer to."

McGonagall's face contorted in confusion. "And that's a...problem?"

Severus also became confused, looking directly at the Gryffindor head professor. "It's not a problem for you?"

McGonagall scoffed. "Of course not. And if the other students don't know, then it may show which ones actually do the work for the class." Snape only rolled his eyes. "And...maybe she's trying to impress you."

Severus' eyes widened. "What?"

"Hermione's always working hard. In her other classes, she'll usually only raise her hands if no one else is doing so. Yet, in your class, she's always trying to answer the questions. It could be her way of impressing you." McGonagall smirked. "And it seems like she has impressed you quite a bit for you to be thinking of her."

-Hermione-

Hermione was laying on her bed, reading through some of her books. She was trying to prepare for one of her last tests at Hogwarts, and it just happened to be Snape's. Some of the younger Gryffindor girls - who had been chatting amicably about boys, new clothes, and so on - just left to go to Hogsmeade. It was quiet when they left.

"I wonder what he's doing," Hermione whispered, looking out the window.

The door to the girls' bedroom opened, and Professor McGonagall walked in.

"I thought you'd be here," she said with a small smile.

Hermione sat up, saying, "Can I help you, Professor?"

"Someone wants to speak with you. Come with me."

Hermione, confused but not wanting to argue, followed McGonagall. It took roughly 5 minutes, give or take a few, to get to an office Hermione was trying to avoid.

"But-" Hermione started, looking at McGonagall.

"Don't worry," she replied with a small, encouraging smile. "Just go on in."

McGonagall then left, and Hermione stood there. She looked at the door, nervous about what might happen. Worst-case scenarios played through her head, despite McGonagall's encouragement: Maybe she was in trouble? Perhaps she failed her first assignment? Or even a test she failed?

After what felt like hours (but was actually only 2 minutes), Hermione knocked on the door.

"Come in," his voice said, encouraging the terrifying scenarios in her head.

Get out of your head, Hermione, she thought. It's most likely nothing. It's nothing.

She walked in, and there Snape was, sitting at his desk. A light blush dusted her cheeks when they made eye contact.

"What did you need to discuss, Professor?" Hermione asked, her voice just above a whisper.

He stood up and walked up to her, saying, "Relax, Miss Granger. Or...may I call you Hermione?"

Hermione's blush deepened, but she tried to remain calm. "Her-Hermione's fine, sir."

"There's no need to call me 'sir'. Snape is just fine." Snape sighed. "Someone pointed out to me recently that your constant...participation in class may not have been you trying to be a know-it-all." Hermione's face scrunched up, but Snape continued. "And...they also pointed out to me that you may have been trying to impress me."

Hermione's blush reached her ears. "I-I promise, it's...it's nothing. You really don't need to-"

Snape sat on the edge of his desk and brought Hermione's hand to his lips. He kissed her fingertips softly.

"It's okay, Hermione. You did impress me, and you continue to do so." He looked away briefly before continuing. "I'm not great with words, but...you have my heart, Hermione."

Hermione was shocked for a minute, and then looked down with a shy smile. Their hands intertwined, and a soft smile adorned Snape's face.

** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- **

This story was requested by severussnapesalways (Wattpad's being difficult and not letting me mention you for some reason)

I wanted to keep this on the more light and fluffy side, especially since it's my first HP fanfiction. I hope you enjoy it!

Much love

Wife of Neptune 🔱🌊