Chapter 1•New Beginnings

Chapter 1
New Beginnings

Name: Crystal Ball

Occupation: Unemployed

Age: 15

Gender: [F✔️] [M]

Reasoning for orphanage (If Under 18): Abandoned ✔️

Date of Birth: April 19, 2005

Please return your application to the front desk when completed.

I sighed and wiped tears from my left eye as I completed the shelter's application form. To my right sat all of my belongs which included two scrunchies, one dress, and one baby with a diaper that desperately needed to be changed.

The newborn baby sat in a grey and blue car seat sucking on his pacifier. It broke my heart to look at my son because I knew terrible things had gotten us there. There in that shelter.

I sucked in a sharp quick breath and finally got the courage to walk up to the front desk and officially turn my life over to the shelter. Of course it pained me to do that, but it had to be done. It was the only way to keep my son and myself safe.

Returning to my seat I made sure my newborn was safe and sound asleep before thinking about all of the events that had happened hours, days, weeks, months, and even years before he'd been born.

Before all of that, the baby and the shelter, I was just a normal girl with doctors for parents. Dr. Anna Ball and Dr. William Ball were well respected and noble doctors. During their honeymoon stages of marriage they studied the law of medicine together at a local college.

After attending college my mother fell pregnant with me and took a year off of doctoring. On my first birthday she went back to work and left me alone with a babysitter, Coleman, who's younger brother fathered my son Carter.

By age 10 my father decided to enroll me in boarding school in which I succeeded with ease, then, age 12, I went on to a private magnet school. I succeeded there too, but my attitude took a nasty turn when my parents pulled me from that school and placed me into homeschool. I'd lost all of my friends and contact with the outside world.

Three years later I was reunited with a past friend. That friend happened to be Jaxon. It was no secret I'd previously had a childish crush on Jaxon. He used to come over and play when we were just 9 years old and he stole my heart away.

At 14, Jaxon and I recovered our friendship. He'd come over for dinner, my parents requested that we bonded daily. But, one day they'd ruined dinner and bonding and anything else possible. They'd revealed their horrible plans. The terrible deeds they'd transpired to do before I aged 19 years. All of the terrible deeds that Jaxon had been ok with.

"No!" I shouted that day at the dinner table. Tears spilled from my eyes as I stood before everyone. My parents, the McCaughlins, and out next door neighbors George and Martha.

"I will not carry it! I will not carry it for you!" I screamed. But, I did carry him. I carried him for 9 long months. Carter is was the him I referred to at the time.

I felt as if a 14 year old should not have been forcefully inseminated under the will of her parents. 4 doctors brewed the plan for an underaged girl to produce a Ball-McCaughlin heir and study its genetic material all for money. 90 thousand dollars to be exact.

"Wahhh!" Carter's small cry brought me back to reality and I quickly scooped him up with both hands. I rocked him slowly as I retrieved one of his last diapers from his seat.

"Ok baby if we're going to make it we need to act as a team." I gave a small pep talk to him and myself while looking for a bathroom in the facility.

"Family bathroom." I mumbled when I came to the right stop. I was appreciative of the changing table located in the corner of the dull room.

After changing a fidgeting Carter's diaper I headed straight back to my belongings. I couldn't risk anything being stolen, as it was all I had.

Staring off into space I began to daydream about a normal childhood. I saw a little girl in a black dress with little yellow sunflowers on it. Sadly, my daydreaming was over faster than it started.

"Miss?" My head snapped towards the woman standing in front of me and I hurriedly stood up.

"Yes ma'am." I faced her eager to hear some sort of good news.

"Uhm, well I see that on the application you have a newborn baby."

"Yes ma'am I do."

She cleared her throat before turning her lips up into a small smile. "Unfortunately we don't accept new-"

"Thank you, ma'am, for your time." I nodded at her and placed a small smile on my face as well while gathering my things. I placed them into Carter's seat and covered him with the dress.

It was the third time in one day that I'd gotten rejected from a shelter and my feet were rather tired from walking. My baby was sure to become hungry, and I had nowhere else to turn to.

Walking down the street, I turned and decided to enter a small building. "Hi, welcome to Lovely's I'm Lovely."

"Hi." I stated tiredly and placed the car seat in a booth. I slid my body into the booth as well.

"Well you look awfully young to be all alone with a baby." Lovely spoke with a concerned persona.

I smiled weakly at her and Carter's cry then began to rang out into the small place that smelled of coffee and waffles. My stomach growled loudly at the smell.

Uncovering Carter, I shushed him and looked around. I felt helpless and lost. "You must be hungry. Sweet potato pie for you and milk for the baby." I hadn't even noticed that Lovely had gone.

She sat the slice of pie in front of me and placed the glass of milk in front of me. "Thank you." I accepted the pie and milk gracefully and transferred it to his cup. "Mmcht." You could hear Carter sucking on the warm milk.

"Tell me sugar, what is a young thing like you doing out with a baby?"

"It's a long story ma'am."

"We've got lots of pie, and, call me Lovely."

I genuinely smiled for the first time in a while and nodded my head. "Well, Lovely, things happen. It's really just a long story."

She then smiled weakly and sat down at the booth. "Surely I can give you a ride home then."

"No ma'am. That won't be necessary. Uhm we don't have a home." She slowly gasped and I saw a tear threatening to spill from her wide round eyes.

"You're just like me." She said and began talking about her childhood. She'd been abandoned by her mother after she became pregnant at 17 with her son Pluto. After 10 years she managed to scrape up all of the money that she could and buy a building which turned into Lovely's.

"Wow." I was truly amazed at her story, and at her for even having the courage to do many things. I wanted to be like her, successful in the end. But that. That would take time. For the Truth needed to Be Told.

This illustrated cover was made by potatochipskylark

This illustrated cover was made by potatochipskylark . If you're interested in illustrated cover art then go over to her page and request a cover!