Prologue

They lowered her slowly down into the ground. I waited patiently for her to push open the casket and scream 'SURPRISE!' Just like she used to do on my birthday. I wanted her to tell me it was a stupid joke to make me look stupid. I wanted- needed her to tell me she wasn't actually dead. That she wasn't actually gone.

Tears clouded my vision and I felt them slip down my face. Furiously, I wiped them away knowing she wouldn't want me to cry. 'Good boys don't cry,' I heard her whisper in my mind. I sniffled and my lower lip kept on wobbling.

PLOP!

I felt something wet on my nose. I glanced at the sky, watching how the dark gloomy clouds gathered around hiding away the perfect blueness. Small, tiny droplets dripped over us. The sky was crying. It looked so sad.

'Don't cry,' I thought silently as I gazed at the sky. 'Don't make me sad. Please don't make me cry.'

But it didn't stop. It grew sadder.

A chocked sob caught my attention and I drifted my gaze towards Auntie Leslie who covered her mouth with hands as she sobbed. Uncle Max tried to soothe her, rubbing her arm but she kept on crying.

I looked away as I swallowed a thick lump forming in my throat and felt my jaw tightened as I focused on preventing myself not to cry. A heavy hand dropped down on my shoulder and I jerked my head up. My father's face peered down at me with glassy blue eyes reminding me of the ocean. Mummy always commented on daddy's eyes. She used to day that they were the most beautiful pairs of eyes she's ever seen. Daddy would laugh before telling her she was the only thing beautiful to him.

Mummy was beautiful. I miss mummy.

I let my eyes drift down to the ground and I gazed at the green grass. Mummy's eyes were green too.

"Come here, son. We need to say goodbye to Mummy," I heard daddy's deep voice and suddenly I was lifted into his arms. Burying my face in his neck and my arms and legs wrapped around him, he walked us to her where she lay peacefully. He bent down on his knee before gathering dirt into hand and dropping it down onto the casket. He motioned for me to do the same.

We stood from afar as we watched them cover her completely. She really was gone. The thought of her gone left a gaping hole in my heart. It hurt. I wanted mummy. She could the pain away. She would take it all away. She would kiss my boo boos and wipe my tears away. Who was going to do it now? Who was going to read me 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'? Who was going to sing me lullabies? Who was going to listen to my dreams and hold me when I had nightmares?

No-one would. Because Mummy was gone now. Mummy was dead.

Tears fell down my cheeks and I didn't bother hiding them. I cried for her. I cried for her love. Big rough hands wiped the tears away and soft lips kissed my entire face. I looked at daddy.

"Oh don't cry, Jacob," Daddy soothed me before giving me a kiss. "You're gonna make Mummy sad."

I pointed at the grave and met Daddy's eyes as I cried. "M-mummy's gone, Daddy. She left us."

Tears rolled down his cheeks and he pressed his lips on my forehead, deeply inhaling.

"Mummy is right here with you, son. She never left." He murmured as he placed his hand on my small chest. I felt myself smile. "Really?"

"Yeah, baby." He smiled through his tears. At least, daddy was here with me.

"I love you, daddy."

"I love you too, son," He kissed cheeks again and tilted his head up to the sky that still cried.

"Mummy loves us too. To the moon, stars and back."

***

Hey! I really, really, really  hope you like the prologue. Please do comment and vote. Next Chapter will be up soon! 

Love; Valerie Rose