Chapter One

Shabina woke up in a cold sweat. The grandfather clock downstairs blared out loudly. Shabina grumbled, and pulled the covers closer, up to her chin. A quiet creek sounded from her bedroom door and her mother poked her head in.

"Everything okay in here?" her mother whispered.

Shabina sat up and mumbled a yes.

"Why don't we get rid of that crappy clock anyway?" Shabina complained.

Her mother sighed, opened the door, walking in and sat on the edge of her bed.

"You know we keep that clock in honor of your father, Shabina. He was a great man, and the clock is all that is left of him."

Shabina sighed, remembering her father, in the last moments she saw him.

"I'll be back before you know it, Shabina." Shabina's father said as he pulled her into a hug. Shabina had been bawling that day, and Shabina didn't know if it was because she felt something was wrong or if she didn't want her father to leave that day.

"I-I know dad I just...." Shabina was cut off as she began to cry again.

Shabina's father pulled her closer.

"It'll be okay, Shabina, I won't be gone for long, it's just a couple of days."

Shabina nodded, sniffed, and hugged her father back. Shabina's father kissed her on the head, and his prickly beard poked her scalp. Shabina barely felt it. A few moments later Shabina's father let go of her, and hugged her mother.

"Bye, Holly. See you in three days."

"Bye, Zyair. Love you."

"Love you too."

Shabina's father got in his car and backed out of the driveway. Shabina and her mother watched as he drove away, and waved after him.

"I know mom." Shabina said.

Shabina's mother nodded.

"Try and get back to sleep okay?"

Shabina nodded and lay down, bringing the covers back up around her. Shabina's mother kissed her on the head, and began to leave the room.

"Mom?" Shabina called after her.

"Yes, sweetheart?" Shabina's mom said as she turned around right before she closed the door behind her.

"I don't want to go to High school."

"Why? You'll enjoy it, don't worry, Nova will be there, and you'll have each other."

Shabina breathed in, and began to feel more relaxed. Nova would be there, and they would have each other. Shabina smiled.

"You're right mom! Love you!"

"Love you too! Goodnight!" her mom answered

"Goodnight!"