Prologue

I hate school.

Everyone's said that at least once in their life, am I right? So many people would rather be at home, hanging with their friends. Me? I would rather be playing Video Games. Or more specifically, Sword Art Online. It's not everyday I would get to be a beta tester for one of the biggest games to launch, therefore I would do anything just to go home and commit to my relationship more. I mean, what's the point in being in a relationship if you can't commit to it?

"Minxie, concentrate. You're failing history as much as it is. You can't afford to be day dreaming." Miss Kandice shouted, waking me from my daydream.

I repeat: I hate school.

As soon as the bell rang I sprinted towards the door, ignoring shouts of protests from the people I shoved. I froze on the spot as I heard my name being called. I turned my head and found Kazuto rushing towards me.

"You left your bag in class. In a rush?" A gentle smile rested on his lips, he looked nervous. Sure, no one talks to me here, but I'm not scary am I?

"Yeah, I am. Thanks." I replied, grabbing my bag then running out of school. I found my motorcycle amongst the cars and hopped on. Okay, so it's just a pushbike, sue me. Adjusting my skirt, I started peddling and went home.

I swung off my bike and tamed by long, red hair. Dyed of course. As soon as my feet touched the ground I sprinted to the door and upstairs to my room, but not before shouting 'hello' to my parents.

"Hey shorty" I heard from behind me. I turned around to see my older sister and brother.

"What do you want, Kadie, Hutch?" I said over my shoulder, not wanting to be bothered. All I want to do is login early, the game's launch is today and I have the feeling it's going to be a hard time logging in, plus the server might be full.

"You're going to play that game again aren't you? It's eating up your life Minx, when will you learn that?" Hutch sighed, he always played the part of the big brother.

The past three months changed me. I'll admit that. I drifted away from my family, I no longer talk to people in the real world, then again, I don't have friends in the virtual world either. I'm well known by the beta testers, the solo player who completed 27 levels before the game launch. Known as Ace, a boy.

"You won't like my answer, so I won't give it to you." and with that I opened my room door and locked it. My nervegear was sitting on my desk next to my computer. All I had to do was plug it in, shove it on my head and shout. Easy enough.

And so I did just that.

"Link start"

I landed on the ground in a crouch, just as usual. My now blue hair being blown by the virtual wind. Just as I expected, the fields were full of new players wanting to join early parties and guilds. Pathetic. They'd be better off alone, I speak from experience. You don't have to fight about who gets the dropped item, you always get final hit bonuses and you get to kill more. After all, monsters target the loners.

I mean, it's not like I've never been in a guild, I have. Once, and I realised my mistake, I led them into a dungeon, a dungeon I had been in and found unknown monsters. My guild was of high-levelled players so I thought they could handle it, what made that monster any different? I was obviously wrong, only two of us made it out alive. Me and Carl, it took its toll and every guild player split ways, they restarted the game and changed avatars. Ever since then, I've been a solo player.

"Look, it's the guy I was telling you about." i heard a female voice.

"No way, the solo player? That's him? He's hot." another one replied.