Chapter one

It is exactly 6:06 at night and I never imagined myself sitting here in a hospital bed next to my mother, watching her getting eaten alive from the inside out, by the demon itself...cancer. She was diagnosed with lung cancer on my birthday, August 20th, 2012, it is now August 20th, 2014 and til this day I think of my birthday as a living hell. With each breath she takes, it becomes harder and harder for her to fill her lungs with oxygen. The more desperate I become to pull the plug thats keeping her alive. I just can't watch her suffer anymore. My mom pulls me towards her with all the strength she has left, holds my hand tightly, and then whispers softly in my ear," I love you baby girl, im so proud of you, keep working hard in school, you hear me?" "I hear you."
"Now can you please get me a glass of water?"
"Yeah."
I walked out of the room and went downstairs to the cafeteria to get my mom some water.
You are probably thinking where my dad is. He's probably getting drunk at a bar somewhere or getting high with his friends. He handles problems in a different way. He thinks getting drunk or high will take the pain away, but in reality he's running away from his problems becasue he's scared.
I grabbed a cup and filled it half way to the top with water because I know she wont drink a full glass. I walked back into the room and suddenly everything was in slow motion, black and white, and dead silent except my moms heart beat slowing down and the heart monitor flat. Then I went into shock.
I dropped the half filled cup of water and ran over to my mom. I felt in that instant my whole world came crashing on me and I then felt hot, wet tears streaming down my cheeks. "MOM!!!! MOM!!!! MOM!!!! I shook her to try to wake her up but I eventually I had to face the truth... My mother is dead. "HELP WE NEED A NURSE!!!!" And in that moment my heart knew it was for the best, but my mind was saying "Dont go."
The nurses came rushing in and walked me outside and tried to calm me down. "Ok breathe... relax. Can you please tell me your name?" I took deep breathes and whipped the hot, wet tears from my cheeks." My name is Isobel." "Ok its gunna be alright, she needed to go, she isnt in pain anymore, shes in a better place, she is no longer suffering." Every word she said was true but I couldnt help, but cry even harder.
I ran outside to my car, opened it, slammed it shut, and then turned the key. I sat there for a moment in tears and hit the steering wheel. I wondered, why me? I looked back at all the hell that came into my life and realized that every breathing moment of my life was and is an actual living hell. I whipped my tears and put my hand on the clutch and put it into drive. I sped out of the parking lot and drove home crying.
I got home opened the door and I started running up the stairs when I here my dads voice.
"you know you really need to grow up and move on."
"Mom just died do you really think I can just move on, just like that!" "
"If I can you can."
"No dad, you are running away from your problems, your just scared to face the truth!"
He ran over to me with a beer bottle In his hand and pushed me against a wall.
"Dad your drunk."
He slapped me across the face.
"Don't tell me what to do I am your father you will respect me. Is that clear!!!"
I pushed him away and started running up the stairs when he chucked a beer bottle at me. Luckily he missed and was too drunk to climb the stairs. I ran to my room with more and more tears streaming down my face.
It is now 7:46 and I am drained and stressed out. I strip down to my bra and underwear then I fold my blankets halfway down my bed and crawl in. I stare at the ceiling hoping everything gets better, but I know deep down inside that's a lot of hope for a little 16 year old ginger like me. I slowly close my eyes and fall into a deep sleep.
Goodnight.