1 I Really Want A Cute Little Sister

I grew up in a single child, in a fairly well off family. Pampered since birth, I have always gotten everything that I wanted. New phone? Got one. New console? Got one. Trips? All the time. I was living the life of a prince, showered with love by my parents (and money of course), and I did not have to care about anything.

But it all changed when I entered high school.

I was not a social person, to begin with. Growing up a single child, I pretty much was left on my own. I found it difficult to connect with my peers. I came home straight after school. I stayed home during the weekends, barely leaving the house. But I do yearn for someone who I can talk to.

Pretty much a shut-in, I drown myself deep into cyberspace. Games, YouTube, Netflix... I wasted hours and hours in front of the screen. Being Asian, it was only natural for me to get engrossed in the world of anime.

It was during one of my anime marathons during my junior year of high school when I stumbled into the world of imouto, aka little sister. I was getting bored with the shonen stuff I was watching and I started watching a popular series out of curiosity. But little did I know that this would kickstart a chain reaction that changed my entire life.

I fell in love almost instantly with the cute little sisters. The way they say "Onee-chan" and the way they blush when given head pats were just cute beyond imagination. I know I would be labelled a lolicon or a siscon but I do not care. How the hell does one resist the "Onee-chan"? How does one's heart not melt when your little sister blushes when you give her a head pat? Imoutos are meant to be protected, at all costs.

It was one fateful day in April that my life changed forever.

It was my senior year. I came home from school depressed as usual, with my academic performance being subpar and fluctuating. I had recess alone again and I did not talk to anyone.

I turned on my laptop and stared at the screen. I did not know what to do. This is my graduating year and I had no idea what to do in the future. Since I was born, I did not have to worry about anything as my parents planned everything, schools and activities like music lessons. I just had to attend them. But now, I had to worry about college. I had no idea what I wanted to study. The only interest I had was to shut myself in my room and browse the Internet, and that did not seem like a career I could build. I mean I could stream myself gaming on Twitch or YouTube but that does not sound like a promising career that could guarantee me a stable income unless I made it big. My conservative parents would never approve of that.

I looked at the date. 20th April.

Oh. I thought to myself. Today is my birthday.

My parents suddenly ambushed me with a birthday cake. "Happy birthday Max!"

After the birthday song ended, it was time for me to make a wish and blow out the candles.

What should I wish for? What do I really want? Good grades? An acceptance letter from a good college? Making some friends? I don't know. I don't know what I want. I have no idea what I want. Oh wait, there's something I don't have. And I do want that.

I REALLY WANT A CUTE LITTLE SISTER!

I blew out the candles. That was probably the dumbest wish ever but whatever, wishes are only meant to be dreams right?

But sometimes dreams do come true.

The next day, when I came home from school, my parents were waiting for me in the living room. Something odd is happening. I started panicking. Did I do something wrong?

"Sit down I have something to tell you," my dad told me. I was sweating. I was ready to be grounded. Anything. I did not know what I messed up but I was very scared.

"We are going to welcome a new member to the family."

Is my mum pregnant?

"We decided to adopt a girl. She's 15. Her name is Emily."

My heart skipped a beat.

Wait, my wish got answered? What?

"She's about to arrive."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

My dad went and opened it.

There stood my little sister.

A cute little beauty, not unlike those portrayed in the animes I watched. She glanced at her feet, face blushing. Her golden-brown hair is tied up into a ponytail. She exudes an aura of a goddess. She was the perfect little sister.

"Hi, my name is Emily." She said in a soft voice, a voice barely audible, but clear and sweet, like cotton candy.

And that is how, suddenly, with only a few months left till graduation in high school, I have a little sister.