Shangri-La

Chapter 1- Saruin

Father aimed his sword at my neck. I was unmoved even when he looked down at me fiercely. ““How could you let something like this happen!?” he said angrily. I said nothing. My father struggled trying to keep himself from killing me. “To get hurt so easily. You foolish girl! What have I been teaching you for the last 12 years!?” He sheathed his sword and turned away from me. “Get out of my sight. I don't want to see your disgraceful face till I think of our next move!” I bowed and then left father's study. I heard him cursing as I left him to his anger

The palace walls were silent. Everyone watched me, looking closely at my arm. I tried to not let on that it was still hurting from the incident but the burning almost made it unbearable.

Whispers came from the workers no doubt wondering how a girl like me could let something so foolish happen. Their voices grew louder with every step I took and I was extremely happy when I finally made it back to my room.

I looked at my arm, it was even redder.It throbbed when I put a soft cloth on it. I winced as the burning increased. Even with all the medical attention I had yesterday, nothing could stop it from hurting this bad. “Damn mage,” I said sitting on my chair. “How could I let him get me like that?” A knock came from my door. I had no desire to allow anyone to see me in such a state. The knocking didn't stop. “Come in,” I said reluctantly.

“Princess,” a familiar voice said. “How are you feeling?”

I looked up to see Neal. He was eying me from the door looking even more worried then usual. His sincere apple eyes gave me a sense of comfort. “Your arm!” he suddenly said. He rushed over to me and grabbed my right arm. “It's getting worse isn't it. I told them that magic couldn't be healed so easily.”

“Don't worry about it. It'll heal in time.” I pulled my arm away from him trying to conceal my embarrassment for what happened. I shouldn't have let my guard down so easily. “What's the matter? Did you get into another fight with your father?” I said nothing. Neal however got his answer from the look on my face. “I see. Please don't be angry with him. He may have been angry but he does care for you.”

I laughed at that notion. “All my father cares about is his money. He didn't even care that I could've died.”

Neal was hesitant. Nothing he said would help me feel any different about the man I called 'father'. “At least the mage didn't have reinforcements or it might have been worse. I bet he thought his magic would've been enough.”

“He still got me though. He cheated. He tricked me into thinking he was a normal assassin then used magic on me. I let my guard down!”

“Please do not blame yourself princess. You should just be happy that you are safe.”

Safe? No I wasn't safe. I never was. Not even from my own father. “This wound won't heal,” I said looking at it. “The fire seeped down to my bone. This arm will always be damaged.” Neal said nothing which only concluded my statement.

“I know it's hard for you princess but please cheer up. As your friend and advisor to Shangri-La I will do whatever I can to heal your arm.” He bowed to me and I blushed. I hated it when he got this formal.

“There's no need to bow Neal,” I said ushering him up. Neal gave that pleasant chuckle that made me realize that he was the only person who cared for me in this kingdom.

My heart dropped however when I heard one of the maids from down the hall saying hello to my father. I hoped he wasn't coming to see me but my wish was bashed. There he was, in the doorway, looking as kingly as ever. His long black hair blended in with his gold and yellow robes.