Part One

***

I waited for her. I hoped for the day I can see her again.

18 years ago, when I was still five, I was playing along the little stream we had nearby our house at Incheon. I had no playmates, no siblings, no friends, and no one to talk to. My family is rich, so other kids treat me differently. They do not want me to be their friends, because they are afraid of me. No one even dares to eat with me during lunch. I had no one to play with, except my little teddy bear named Mr. Tumms. He was given to me by my mother last birthday. Since then, I never go anywhere without him.

It also seemed to me like I have no parents. They have no time for me. All they care about is their work, their money, how to earn a living. So every time I feel sad, I go to this stream nearby to calm my nerves. The sparkling water flowing down is beautiful, and it fascinated me. I usually sit on the same spot on some big rocks nearby the stream. I enjoy staying there, and I know no one can interrupt me.

But it so happened that one time, while I was sitting down the same rock I usually sat, I let Mr. Tumms sit beside me, like a real friend would do. But becuase I wasn't thinking that time, I didn't know he would roll down, accidentally falling down the stream. The next thing I knew was I saw him floating down the rapid stream, and loneliness suddenly replaced all of the feelings present in me. Mixed negative emotions suddenly came in too; anxiety, sadness and anger at myself. I told myself if I don't save him, I won't be able to see him again, the only thing I have for a friend. But I'm afraid to jump in. I don't know how to swim, and the stream seems so deep. I feel angered that I can only do nothing but to watch him float somewhere else where I cannot see him again.

I covered my face with my hands and without knowing, tears came running out of my eyes, and dropping down the stones, making splat marks. I'm afraid I've lost something valuable. The only one who is willing to accompany me everywhere, listen to my whines or stay with me though think and thin.

Goodbye, Mr. Tumms. I'm sorry I'm such a useless friend to you.

"Looking for this?" A girl voice suddenly uttered few minutes after. Her voice sounded mellow and friendly; someone who's living her life happily. I dried my tears and looked at her. She was dripping wet in her green shirt and white shorts, while holding out the drenched Mr. Tumms. I immediately grabbed him from her, and I couldn't help but to let out a smile.

"Mr. Tumms! Oh, I'm so sorry that I let you down! I promise not to put your life in danger again!" I whispered at him. For once in my life, I've felt so happy that I wanted to cry again. I hugged him below my chest and looked at the girl who saved him.

"Thank you for saving Mr. Tumms." I uttered with a smile.

"It was nothing. I saw you crying and figured out that you lost him, so I had to jump and get him to you."

"Thank you." I could utter nothing but that word. If I had to tell her a million times, then I would. A moment of silence came into us. I noticed that she kept on staring at Mr. Tumms. I glanced at my teddy bear.

"What's your name?" I asked, realizing that I still haven't asked her.

"Amber."

"I'm Myung Soo." I introduced myself and held out Mr. Tumms.

"Here, you can keep him." I told her. Maybe the reason why she saved my teddy bear was that she liked him, and she wanted to keep him. But she was disappointed that I already owned him. I began to think. Maybe I should just give this to her. Anyway, though I originally didn't like to give him away, I know someone like her could take care of him much more like I do.