Unwell Woodpecker

"Stop in the name of the -ah...ahchoo!- Law!"

Clementine brayed, and slowed her pace. Peck groaned. "Not now, Clementine!"

The wagon full of bandits pulled away,whereas Clementine simply turned, and looked at her owner with a pointed face. Peck glared. "I'm fine! Giddy-up already!" Clementine sighed, and shook her head, before breaking into another run. Peck sneezed again, but shook it off, which only succeeded in making him incredibly dizzy.

That was actually an understatement. Another dizzy spell hit, and he found himself swaying in the saddle. Clementine slowed her pace to a walk, allowing Peck to fall right off her saddle.

"Great." He mumbled, staying on the ground and waiting for the world to stop spinning. "Just great. How am I supposed to show my face in Nice N Friendly Corners now without them bandits in handcuffs?" Clementine snorted in response, watching the wagon disappear into the distance.

"I don't care if the Junctionville Sheriff will get them! The point is, I didn't do my job." Clementine simply gave him a look. Peck glared back at her. "C'mon. Might as well get it over with."

He hopped back onto Clementine's saddle. The mule whinnied. Peck simply kicked her sides gently, alerting her to move. The mule walked leisurely, deciding now was the best time to be gentle with her owner.

Peck leaned against her back, and closed his eyes. Sleep sounded really good right about now. Clementine had done most of the running, but he felt exhausted.

Just as he was drifting off to the gentle rocking of Clementine's movement, a sharp pain erupted in his stomach. He cried out in surprise. Clementine brayed worriedly.

"It's okay, Clementine." Peck assured her, watching Nice N Friendly Corners grow bigger in the distance. "It was just a cramp." Clementine's brows set decidedly, and she trotted into town, coming to a stop in front of Doc's clinic. Peck rolled his eyes. "I'm fine, Clementine. Really."

"Hee-haw!"

"Clementine, I am!"

Another bray. Peck ran a wing down his face, and carefully slid off the saddle. His stomach hurt, and felt queasy, and he was still incredibly dizzy. He leaned against her, panting, and the mule gently licked his face.

"Peck!" He glanced up. Sheriff Callie rode in from the other end of town. "I heard the bandits got loose!"

Peck sighed. He really didn't need a lecture right now, although Callie had never really lectured him. He just wanted to go home and sleep off whatever this was, like he had the last several times. But, it looked like that would have to wait.

"Peck? Are you okay?" Sheriff Callie hopped off Sparky, and glanced at the clinic. "You want me to get Doc?"

"No. I'm okay. Just catching my breath." Sheriff Callie put her paws on her hips, and furrowed her brows. "Peck, I don't believe that for one Kitty-licking second! You've been out of sorts for weeks!" Peck shrugged. "Maybe it's the heat."

"Peck." Sheriff Callie warned. "I want you to tell me the truth."

"I'm fine!" Peck snapped, startling the poor cat. In this moment of distraction, Clementine forced her head through an open window of the clinic, and brayed for Doc's attention. The duck jumped, startled by the sudden noise. "Clementine? What's going on? Where's Peck?"

Outside, Sheriff Callie put a paw on Peck's shoulder. "Peck, I know you want to do your job, but you can't do that if you're sick."

"I'm not sick!" Peck protested. Unfortunately, his body decided that it was the perfect time to prove him wrong. He broke into a sneezing fit, drawing the attention of the other townsfolk.