Karasuno's #12

Characters: Semi Eita, Goshiki Tsutomu, Yamaguchi Tadashi

Word Count: 2, 880 words

Summary: Semi Eita helps his junior and Karasuno's number twelve with their practice.

Note: This oneshot takes place after the first-years' training camp at Shiratorizawa but before the nationals.

.   .   .   .   .

The silverette was sure that there wasn't going to be anyone using the indoor court at this timing. It was half past nine on a Sunday night and people normally wouldn't be around in the public stadium this late, at least as far as he knew. But then he heard the familiar sound of ball hitting the wooden floor as he and his junior approached hall, and he knew he was in for a surprise.

Standing on the court was Karasuno's number twelve, clad in a plain dark green t-shirt and a pair of black shorts. It seemed like he was practising his serves alone, judging from the lack of company. Semi couldn't remember the teen's name, but he was intrigued enough by his jump float serves in the last Spring match, despite being called into the court only when his team was in a pinch, to ever forget how he looked like. Besides, it was only natural for him to keep an out for an opponent who is also a pinch server like him.

He stood at the entrance silently and watched as the green-haired boy served again and again. Everytime the ball hit the bottle at the other end of the court, the freckled boy would light up in satisfaction and skip across to retrieve the ball. Aside from his amazement at how well the Karasuno player was able to maneuver the ball with his serves, it was frustrating to watch him move across the court to and fro between every serve. Which made him wonder, why was he practising alone? With nothing but a ball and sheer determination as his fuel?

"Semi-san, should we look for some other place?" Goshiki asked, adjusting the volleyball bag resting on his shoulder. Semi had promised him to toss him some balls tonight so that he could practise on his spikes. Even though the third-year setter had no plans on pursuing volleyball after he graduated from high school, with a little persuation, he was willing to help him with his practise. Goshiki usually practised with Shirabu and Taichi at their school indoor court, but they had schoolwork to be completed. That and because they didn't want to risk getting caught sneaking out of their dormitory late at night for practice.

"Do you recognise him?"

"Hm?" Goshiki leaned in and took a closer look at the lone boy in the court. His eyes lit up in recognition. "Oh, yeah... He's the pinch server from Karasuno, right? The one with the jump float serve?"

"Yes. Come on, let's ask if we can join him."

In an instant, a look of reluctance flashed across the first-year's face. He opened his mouth to object, but the words disintegrated at the tip of his tongue when his senior gave him a knowing glare. He pursed his lips together and frowned, seemingly angry at himself as his mind flew back to the small confrontation he had with Shirabu during the training camp.

"I don't know about asking my rival for help..."

"Rival? What are you talking about? You should probably get rid of that unnecessary pride."

Semi walked into the hall first. Like a little duckling following his mother, Goshiki trailed after his senior quietly and obediently, not making anymore protests despite not feeling up to practising with a player from another school. Was he really that prideful? Was he too conscious about letting his rivals see his mistakes and weaknesses? The unnecessary desire to only display strength and power in front of those he will fight against in the court.