Season 2 • Episode 1: Speak of the Devil

Simon,

A lot has happened since I last wrote. I have no idea how I'm going to tell you about it all, but I guess I can try.

I took Mia to the Spring Fling, like I said I would. It started off perfect but... it ended being anything but.

My sister Pilar found my note to Benji, and it started a fight between Benji and his boyfriend. After I explained everything to his boyfriend, it turns out that they broke up. But not because Benji was dumped. Benji was actually the one who broke it off.

He confessed to me how he felt about me, and we kissed, but this time, it wasn't an impulsive mistake. I felt on top of the world, Simon.

But that didn't last much longer.

Mia saw us. I managed to catch her before she left the dance. I tried to save it, but there wasn't much I could do. She was really hurting. Then, Pilar told me about how my mistakes were haunting her, too. So, after all of that, she and I went home, and I decided to come out to my family.

Love, Victor

A soft knocking sounded at the door of Victor's room.

"Come in," he permitted quietly.

The door opened slightly, and Pilar creeped into the room, closing the door behind her. She sat on his bed a distance away from him, her face troubled.

A silence sat between them for a moment before Pilar began speaking.

"How long did you know...?" Victor glanced away.

"Pilar..." He looked back at her. "...To be completely honest, I didn't know know until the work trip. And what I did was stupid. Everything I've done these past few months has been stupid, and I'm sorry you found out about it the way you did. I never meant to hurt Mia– or you– like that. I should've done better, but I've felt like there's the weight of the entire world on my shoulders, Pilar." She looked slightly angrier than before, but more predominantly, hurt. Victor sighed, continuing.

"I know you feel that way too," he said quietly, looking away, deep in thought. "And... before anything else... I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He looked at her.

"Victor..." Pilar started, "I know you have a lot of problems right now, and I don't get it, I won't get it. But, I have a lot of problems too. My entire life has been changed in a matter of minutes in one sitting." Her voice was shaking now. "I don't have friends here. Or a boyfriend anymore. My brother is gay, and my parents are 'separating.' None of us even know where Dad ran off to earlier after you... told us. Not only that, but my entire family has been lying to each other, lying to me. And... and all I'm doing, all I can do is just sit back and watch. Do you understand what that's like, Victor?" Pilar was tearing up at this point. Victor sat up and moved next to Pilar, taking her into a strong hug. He could feel her shaking. Victor's eyes were watering now, too, his voice just above a whisper.

"I'm sorry, Pilar.

I'm sorry."

>><<

Victor closed his locker, the door banging shut.

"...And it was amazing." Felix continued. "To think I, Felix Weston, kissed Lake Meriweather in front of everyone?" He smiled to himself, shaking his head and gripping his backpack straps. "Incredible."

"I'm really happy for you, Felix." Victor voiced. Felix's smile faded.

"Are you okay?" He asked Victor. "I'm sorry, I should've asked you that. I know Saturday was an eventful night for you." Victor sighed and shook his head a bit.